Messaging someone anywhere in the world is now easier and more affordable, thanks to Facebook Messenger. With its convenient and user-friendly mechanics, this app has become one of the leading messaging platforms for Filipinos.
Aside from sending and receiving text messages, Facebook Messenger is also a reliable platform for sending files like Word documents, spreadsheets, slide presentations, PDF files, and a lot more.
Whether you’re using your desktop/laptop or mobile phone, this article provides you with a complete guide to sending files in Facebook Messenger.
Table of Contents
- 1. How To Send Files in Facebook Messenger Using Your Desktop/Laptop
- 2. How To Send Files in Facebook Messenger Using Your Mobile Phone
- Tips and Warnings
- Frequently Asked Questions
1. How To Send Files in Facebook Messenger Using Your Desktop/Laptop
There are two ways to send files in Messenger using your desktop/laptop. You may either use the Messenger web version or the Facebook site itself. Both methods require an internet browser (i.e., Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, etc.)
a. Using the Messenger web version
- Access www.messenger.com from your web browser.
- Log in using your Facebook account credentials.
- Open the chat window of your Facebook friend who will receive the file. You may use the search feature to locate your recipient quickly.
- At the bottom of the chat window, click the Attach file option.
- Upon clicking this option, a window will appear where you can select the files you wish to send.
- Select the file you wish to send and click Open. If you wish to select multiple files, press Ctrl in your keyboard, click the files you want to send, and then click Open.
- Press the Send button once the files appear in the chat field.
b. Using the Facebook site
- Go to www.facebook.com and log in to your account.
- Click the Messenger icon located on the upper right-hand corner of the Facebook site.
- Select your recipient.
- At the bottom of your recipient’s chat window, select the Attach File option. Upon clicking this, a window will appear where you can select the files you want to send.
- Select the files you wish to send. If you are sending multiple files, press Ctrl in your keyboard, select the files you want to send, and then click Open.
- Press the Send button to proceed.
2. How To Send Files in Facebook Messenger Using Your Mobile Phone
a. Using your Android phone’s browser
It is highly recommended to use this method if your phone has Google Chrome.
- Open your web browser and access www.messenger.com from the search tab at the top.
- On the upper right-hand corner of the screen, look for the three vertical dots (also known as the three dots menu or kebab menu) directly beside the search tab.
- Click the three vertical dots then select Desktop site.
- Log in using your Facebook account credentials.
- Select your recipient.
- At the bottom of your recipient’s chat window, select Attach File.
- Select the files you wish to send.
- Tap the Send button to proceed.
b. Using the Messenger Lite application
Messenger Lite is a simplified version of the Messenger app. In other words, you won’t see some features of the original app (e.g., the “Stories” feature) in the Messenger Lite.
Although this is the lite version, this app has the file sending feature which the original app lacks.
This app is also produced by Meta, the same company that made Messenger.
- Install Messenger Lite from Google Playstore.
- After installation, log in to your account.
- Select your recipient. You can also use its search feature to quickly locate your recipient.
- Click the + icon located at the bottom left corner of your recipient’s chat box. Clicking this icon will allow you to choose the type of file you want to send–either a video or a document/text file.
- Select File.
- Upload the file/s you wish to send.
- Click the Send button to proceed.
c. Using the RAR application
In case your phone’s browser does not support the “Desktop site” feature or when there’s insufficient space to install Messenger Lite, the RAR application is another tool you can use to send files in Messenger.
The RAR app is a simple compression program that creates and manages compressed files like RAR, ZIP, TAR, ISO, and ARJ archives. With this app, you can send files using the Messenger app alone; no need to use your phone’s browser or another external application.
Also, the RAR app is only 2.4 MB in size so it will not take up so much of your phone’s memory, unlike the Messenger Lite app which is about 28 MB in size.
Unfortunately, as of this writing, using RAR to send files in Messenger only works on Android phones.
To send files in Messenger using the RAR app, follow these steps:
1. Install the RAR app from Google Playstore. Search for the “RAR app” and look for the one that is produced by RARLAB.
2. Upon installation, browse and select the files you wish to send by checking the boxes that correspond to the said files.
3. Click the three vertical dots (also known as the three dots menu or kebab menu) on the upper right corner of your screen. A dropdown menu will appear upon clicking these dots.
4. Tap Send and select Messenger. Upon choosing Messenger, you will be redirected to the Messenger app where you can select the intended recipient of the files.
5. Select your files’ recipient and click Send. You may also use the search bar to locate the name of the intended recipient.
Once you’ve seen SENT beside your recipient’s name, that means the file has been successfully sent. Note that your friend will receive the file with a different name (e.g., orca_share_media..). Nothing to be worried about because they can rename it once they have downloaded the file.
d. Using Dropbox
The methods we’ve just discussed so far only work if you’ll be sending files with a maximum size of 25 MB. If the size of your files exceeds this file size limit, then it is advisable to use Dropbox.
Dropbox is a popular file hosting service that allows you to store files and share them with different devices. Upon signing up, you will gain 2 GB of free storage space which you can use to store various file types. Upgrading your account gives you more storage space of about 2 terabytes (TB).
What’s great about Dropbox is it enables users to mark several files and access them even without the internet. Furthermore, this app doesn’t take up too much space with a file size of only/ 44 MB.
Note that your recipient can still download the file/s you’ll send even if they are not a Dropbox user. However, you must not delete your file in Dropbox right away; otherwise, your recipient won’t be able to access and download the file/s.
To send files in Messenger using Dropbox, follow these steps:
1. Install Dropbox from the Google Playstore.
2. Upon installation, sign up to create an account. Note that you must have an active Google account to sign up with Dropbox.
3. Upload your files to Dropbox.
4. Once the file has been uploaded, click the three vertical dots next to it and tap Copy link. You will then get notified that “The link is ready to be pasted”.
5. Open your Facebook Messenger and select your recipient. Afterward, paste the Dropbox link to the chat field. Finally, hit the Send button to proceed.
Tips and Warnings
- Aside from the usual files (i.e., Word Docx, Excel XLS, PDF), you can also send PSD files (i.e., editable file format for Adobe Photoshop) in Messenger provided that the file size is at most 25 MB.
- You may also use Google Drive to send files in Messenger. To do this, upload the file in your Google Drive, copy the drive link, and send it to your recipient via Messenger. Make sure to change the “Share” setting of the file so your recipient can access the file.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I’m an iPhone user. How can I send files in Facebook Messenger?
First, make sure that you have the Messenger app installed on your iPhone. Once you’ve confirmed this, you can send files in Facebook Messenger with your iPhone by following these steps:
- Open the Files app.
- Look for the specific file you wish to send.
- Tap and hold the file. Upon doing this, a dropdown menu will appear.
- Select Share.
- From the list of apps provided, select Messenger.
- Select your recipient. You may use the search tab to locate the recipient’s name.