I am currently living in the US and I want to file a legal separation against my husband whom I’ve been separated from for more than 3 years. Do I need to file the case in the Philippines or can I do it here in the US?

The case should be filed in the Philippines as the US has no jurisdiction over the case.

Your lawyer in the Philippines can send you a copy of the petition. You can then go to the Philippine Embassy or Consulate and have the verification and certification against forum shopping be authenticated by a duly authorized officer of the Philippine Embassy or Consul.

Your lawyer or any person, upon proper authority, will be able to file the case in the Philippine court.

Go back to the main article: How to File Legal Separation in the Philippines: An Ultimate Guide