Last Updated on 09/21/2020 by FilipiKnow
Enye (Ñ or ñ), a letter of Spanish origin, is one of Spain’s influences on the Philippine culture.
We use this foreign letter like our own—it’s in the names of people (Niña and Iñigo), cities (Parañaque and Las Piñas), streets (Doña Julia Vargas Avenue), and more.
However, even if it’s included in the modern Filipino alphabet, enye is missing in the keyboards of computers and cellphones in the Philippines.
So, how do you type enye if it has no dedicated key?
You’ll have to use a keyboard combination. The method of inserting this special character varies according to the device and operating system you’re using.
Sounds too technical? Don’t fret—no need to break a sweat!
Here’s a simple tutorial to help you type enye effortlessly, so you’ll never have to Google it again.
Table of Contents
- I. How to type enye on a laptop keyboard.
- II. How to type enye on a smartphone keyboard.
- What is the easiest way to make an enye?
I. How to type enye on a laptop keyboard.
A. How to type Ñ/ñ on a Windows 10 laptop with numpad.
Does your Windows laptop or desktop PC have a numeric keypad? Here are the steps to easily type enye on your keyboard:
- Press the Num Lock key to enable the numeric keypad. If nothing happens, hold down the Fn button or Shift key while pressing the Num Lock key.
- Hold down the Alt key while typing 164 or 0241. This will create an ñ. To insert an Ñ, hold down the Alt key while typing 165 or 0209.
Remember these keyboard combinations for typing an enye in a laptop with numpad:
- ñ = Alt + 164 / Alt + 0241
- Ñ = Alt + 165 / Alt + 0209
B. How to type Ñ/ñ on a Windows 10 laptop without numpad.
If your laptop doesn’t have a numeric keypad, you can use the Character Map of Windows 10. Here’s how:
- Click the Windows icon on the taskbar (or press the Windows key).
- Scroll down and click on Windows Accessories > Character Map.
- Find the ñ at the bottom-right corner of the Character Map app.
The capital enye is harder to find. To easily locate it, select “Advanced View” at the bottom of the Character Map, type n on the Search bar, and click the Search button. The Ñ is on the rightmost side.
- Double-click Ñ or ñ and then click the Copy button.
- Paste the enye (press Ctrl + V or right-click then click “Paste”) to your document, file, or email.
C. How to type enye on Microsoft Word.
Entering an Ñ/ñ on a Word document is easy. Simply follow these steps:
- Press the Ctrl, Shift, and ~ (tilde) keys at the same time.
- Release all the three keys.
- Type an N (Shift + n) or n to create an Ñ or ñ.
D. How to type enye on a Mac laptop.
Typing an Ñ/ñ is a lot simpler on a Mac device (iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, etc.) than a Windows computer.
Here are the steps to insert an enye with your Mac:
- Press the Option button and the N key at the same time. The tilde symbol ˜ will appear.
- Type N again to create an ñ. To insert a capital Ñ, press the Shift key and N at the same time.
E. How to type enye on Linux/Ubuntu.
Create an enye on a Linux or Ubuntu OS with these steps:
- Press the Ctrl, Shift, and U keys at the same time.
- Release all the three keys.
- Type 00d1 to insert an Ñ or 00f1 to insert an ñ.
- Press the space bar.
II. How to type enye on a smartphone keyboard.
A. How to type enye on an iPhone.
Although iOS keyboards don’t have a key for enye, you can quickly type this letter on your iPhone or iPad. Just tap and hold the N or n key. Then select Ñ or ñ from the row of letters that pops up.
B. How to type enye on an Android phone.
Similar to iOS devices, typing an enye on an Android smartphone entails tapping and holding down the N or n key, which will reveal a small pop-up with an Ñ or ñ. Choose the enye letter and release your finger.
What is the easiest way to make an enye?
Don’t want to bother yourself with remembering keyboard combinations just to create a single letter?
The most convenient way to get an enye is to simply copy (Ctrl + C) the capital or small letter below and paste (Ctrl + V) it in your document.
Ñ / ñ
Easy peasy, right?
Learn the process of filing a petition for a legal separation in the Philippines, the grounds for filing such a petition, and what happens next once it's approved.
Thinking of calling it quits with your spouse? This article offers a bare-bones guide to separating from your spouse through either a Declaration of Nullity or Annulment of Marriage.