Last Updated on 10/05/2020 by FilipiKnow
Enye (Ñ or ñ), a letter of Spanish origin, is one of Spain’s influences on the Philippine culture.
We use this foreign letter like our own—it’s in the names of people (Niña and Iñigo), cities (Parañaque and Las Piñas), streets (Doña Julia Vargas Avenue), and more.
However, even if it’s included in the modern Filipino alphabet, enye is missing in the keyboards of computers and cellphones in the Philippines.
So, how do you type enye if it has no dedicated key?
You’ll have to use a keyboard combination. The method of inserting this special character varies according to the device and operating system you’re using.
Sounds too technical? Don’t fret—no need to break a sweat!
Here’s a simple tutorial to help you type enye effortlessly, so you’ll never have to Google it again.
Table of Contents
- I. How to type enye on a laptop keyboard.
- A. How to type Ñ/ñ on a Windows 10 laptop with numpad.
- B. How to type Ñ/ñ on a Windows 10 laptop without Numpad.
- C. How to type enye on Microsoft Word.
- D. How to type enye on a Mac laptop.
- E. How to type enye on Linux/Ubuntu.
- F. How to type an ñ on a Dell laptop.
- II. How to type enye on a smartphone keyboard.
- What is the easiest way to make an enye?
I. How to type enye on a laptop keyboard.
A. How to type Ñ/ñ on a Windows 10 laptop with numpad.
Does your Windows laptop or desktop PC have a numeric keypad? Here are the steps to easily type enye on your keyboard:
- Press the Num Lock key to enable the numeric keypad. If nothing happens, hold down the Fn button or Shift key while pressing the Num Lock key.
- Hold down the Alt key while typing 164 or 0241. This will create an ñ. To insert an Ñ, hold down the Alt key while typing 165 or 0209.
Remember these keyboard combinations for typing an enye in a laptop with numpad:
- ñ = Alt + 164 / Alt + 0241
- Ñ = Alt + 165 / Alt + 0209
B. How to type Ñ/ñ on a Windows 10 laptop without Numpad.
a. Use the Character Map app.
If your laptop doesn’t have a numeric keypad, you can use the Character Map of Windows 10. Here’s how:
- Click the Windows icon on the taskbar (or press the Windows key).
- Scroll down and click on Windows Accessories > Character Map.
- Find the ñ at the bottom-right corner of the Character Map app.
The capital enye is harder to find. To easily locate it, select “Advanced View” at the bottom of the Character Map, type n on the Search bar, and click the Search button. The Ñ is on the rightmost side.
- Double-click Ñ or ñ and then click the Copy button.
- Paste the enye (press Ctrl + V or right-click then click “Paste”) to your document, file, or email.
b. Add Spanish language on Windows 10.
This method is ideal if you often type Spanish letters and accents, such as enye, on a Windows laptop. Installing the Spanish language on Windows 10 is easier than it sounds. Just follow these steps:
1. Open Settings by pressing Windows + I. Click on “Time & Language.”
2. Select “Language.” Under “Preferred languages,” click on “Add a preferred language.”
3. Under “Choose a language to install,” scroll down to “Español (Estados Unidos)” or type “Spanish” on the search bar to quickly find it. Select that language option and click the Next button.
4. Click the Install button. This will add Spanish to the list of language options on Windows 10.
5. Under “Preferred languages,” click on “Español (Estados Unidos)” and then the Options button.
6. Under “Keyboards,” click on “Add a keyboard.”
7. Scroll down to “United States-International” and select it.
8. Press the Windows icon and space bar at the same time to display the language options. Select “Spanish (United States).”
10. Now you can type enye on MS Word, Notepad, browser, email, or any app where you need to insert an ñ. Press and hold the right Alt key located on the right side of the keyboard. While doing so, type the letter N.
To type the capital enye, press and hold the right Alt key and the Shift key at the same time, and then the letter N.
Remember these keyboard combinations for typing enye after adding Spanish on Windows 10:
- ñ = Right Alt + N
- Ñ = Right Alt + Shift + N
C. How to type enye on Microsoft Word.
Entering an Ñ/ñ on a Word document is easy. Simply follow these steps:
- Press the Ctrl, Shift, and ~ (tilde) keys at the same time.
- Release all the three keys.
- Type an N (Shift + n) or n to create an Ñ or ñ.
D. How to type enye on a Mac laptop.
Typing an Ñ/ñ is a lot simpler on a Mac device (iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, etc.) than a Windows computer.
Here are the steps to insert an enye with your Mac:
- Press the Option button and the N key at the same time. The tilde symbol ˜ will appear.
- Type N again to create an ñ. To insert a capital Ñ, press the Shift key and N at the same time.
E. How to type enye on Linux/Ubuntu.
Create an enye on a Linux or Ubuntu OS with these steps:
- Press the Ctrl, Shift, and U keys at the same time.
- Release all the three keys.
- Type 00d1 to insert an Ñ or 00f1 to insert an ñ.
- Press the space bar.
F. How to type an ñ on a Dell laptop.
Here are some techniques you can try to type the letter enye on your Dell laptop:
a. For Dell laptops without dedicated Numpad: Use the Fn key.
Some Dell laptop models, such as the Inspiron series, don’t have a separate numeric keypad. Instead, the Numpad is integrated into the keyboard, such that the number keys are on the letter keys. This keyboard design has the M, J, K, L, U, I, O, 7, 8, and 9 keys also functioning as numbers 0 to 9, respectively, when Num Lock is activated.
If your Dell keyboard is designed that way, all you have to do is to use the Function or Fn key. The Fn key is typically located next to the Ctrl key on the lower-left corner of the keyboard.
Here are the steps to create an enye using the Fn key:
- Check if the Num Lock light is on. If it’s not, this means the integrated numeric keypad is disabled. Enable the Numpad by pressing the Num Lock key (If there’s no Num Lock key, press the Fn key and the F11 key at the same time to activate the Numpad).
- Press and hold the Fn key and the Alt key at the same time while typing 164 or 0241 (for lowercase ñ) or 165 or 0209 (for capital Ñ).
Keyboard combination for making an enye on a Dell laptop with an integrated numeric keypad:
- ñ = Fn + Alt + 164 / Fn + Alt + 0241
- Ñ = Fn + Alt + 165 / Fn + Alt + 0209
b. For Dell laptops with dedicated Numpad: Turn off Sticky Keys and Filter Keys.
If your Dell laptop has a full numeric keypad but you can’t make an enye using a keyboard shortcut, it might be because the Sticky Keys and Filter Keys are preventing it.
You need to disable both features so that your Numpad can function properly. Go to Settings > Ease of Access > Keyboard. Check that both Sticky Keys and Filter Keys are disabled. If one or both keys are on, toggle to turn them off.
Afterward, you should be able to create an Ñ using your Numpad. Click here for the step-by-step guide.
c. Use a Microsoft Office shortcut for enye.
If you’ll be typing an enye on MS Word, MS Excel, or any MS Office program, try any of these three keyboard shortcuts on your Dell laptop:
- Press the Ctrl key and the tilde key at the same time. Then type the letter N. (Keyboard combination: [Ctrl + ~] + N)
- Type the letter N and the numbers 0303. Then press the Alt key and the letter X. (Keyboard combination: N + 0303 + [Alt + X])
- Press and hold the Ctrl key, the Shift key, and the tilde key all at the same time. Then type the letter N. (Keyboard combination: [Ctrl + Shift + ~] + N)
To make a capital Ñ, press the Caps Lock key before typing an enye using any of the shortcuts above.
d. Other ways to make an enye on a Dell laptop.
If you’ve tried with all your might to type an Ñ but nothing worked, you can use the Character Map app or install the Spanish language on Windows 10. Both techniques work for any other laptop brand, too, as long as its OS is Windows.
II. How to type enye on a smartphone keyboard.
A. How to type enye on an iPhone.
Although iOS keyboards don’t have a key for enye, you can quickly type this letter on your iPhone or iPad. Just tap and hold the N or n key. Then select Ñ or ñ from the row of letters that pops up.
B. How to type enye on an Android phone.
Similar to iOS devices, typing an enye on an Android smartphone entails tapping and holding down the N or n key, which will reveal a small pop-up with an Ñ or ñ. Choose the enye letter and release your finger.
What is the easiest way to make an enye?
Don’t want to bother yourself with remembering keyboard combinations just to create a single letter?
The most convenient way to get an enye is to simply copy (Ctrl + C) the capital or small letter below and paste (Ctrl + V) it in your document.
Ñ / ñ
Easy peasy, right?