I’m a foreigner. How long can I stay in the Philippines if I am married to a Filipina?

In order to stay in the Philippines after marrying a Filipina, you have to apply for a Residence Visa for Spouse of a Filipino Citizen, also called the 13A Non-Quota Immigrant Visa.

This visa is also applicable to your unmarried child below 21 years of age. Upon getting the visa, you’ll be allowed to stay in the country for one year and can be extended for another 2-10 years. It must be noted that this visa type can only be issued to nationals of selected countries.

How To Apply for a Residence Visa if You’re Married to a Filipino Citizen

1. Requirements

  • Fully accomplished Visa Application Form (2 copies)
  • Original Passport of applicant (with at least 6 months validity)
  • Photocopy of Filipino spouse’s passport (2 copies)
  • Marriage certificate (original and photocopy) – This must be authenticated by the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs (if the marriage took place in the Philippines) or registered with the Philippine Embassy of the country where the applicant and Filipino spouse got married (if the marriage took place in another country)
  • Applicant’s birth certificate (original and photocopy)
  • Filipino spouse’s birth certificate (original and photocopy)
  • Applicant’s proof of financial status (bank certificates, property deeds, certificates of stocks)
  • Applicant’s police clearance from the country of origin
  • Applicant’s passport-sized colored photo with white background (2 pieces)
  • Proof of marriage annulment (if the Filipino spouse’s previous marriage was annulled)
  • Secondary evidence of applicant’s citizenship, identity, as well as admissibility to the Philippines
  • Applicant’s medical form/examination report (accomplished by a physician) and X-ray Result (soft copy), after taking a medical exam
  • 13A Visa application fee (starts at USD 150)

2. Step-by-Step Guide

  1. Secure an application form from the Immigration Office, Philippine Embassy, or its official website.
  2. Accomplish the application form and complete all the documentary requirements.
  3. Have your documents assessed at the Central Receiving Unit of any Immigration Office or Philippine Embassy.
  4. Get an Order of Payment slip and pay the required Visa application fee.
  5. Check the official receipt for the venue and schedule of the hearing and Image and Fingerprint Capturing.
  6. Attend the hearing.
  7. Go to the Image and Fingerprint Capturing Counter and submit all the requirements.
  8. Check the website from time to time for the status of your visa application.
  9. Once approved, submit your passport for the visa implementation.

Go back to the main article: How to Get Married in the Philippines with a Foreigner: An Ultimate Guide