How to Get Married in the Philippines – An Ultimate Guide

Last Updated on

Everyone has a dream wedding.

It’s an important milestone you’ve waited for all your life.

Whether it’s a simple civil wedding or an extravagant church wedding, you can’t wait to celebrate this day with your soulmate along with your loved ones.

But preparing for your wedding day is not all beers and skittles. You also need to know the legal documents and preparations required to ensure a hassle-free celebration.

If you’re clueless about the things you need to know to get married here in the Philippines, no need to fret. We have scoured the Internet for the best information that every soon-to-be couples ought to know.

 Related Article: How to Plan a Church Wedding in the Philippines (with Free Printable Wedding Checklist)


Table of Contents

How to Get Married in the Philippines in 3 Simple Steps. 

If you’re planning to get married in the Philippines, there are few legal requirements you need to know first, especially if you or your would-be spouse is 25 years old or below. Here are some of them:

  • Marrying parties should be a male and a female, at least 18 years old.
  • If you or your partner is 25 years old or below, parental consent or advice is needed.
  • You and your partner must not be related by blood (up to 4th degree) and should be free of legal impediments, such as being in a previous marriage (unless annulled, widowed, or divorced).

After confirming that both of you are qualified to get married, proceed to the next steps.


1. Get a marriage license.

The marriage license is the most important legal document you need to secure when preparing for your wedding. After all, you won’t be allowed to have a church or civil wedding without this.

To apply for the license, both parties must go to the local civil registrar of the city, town, or municipality where either one of them habitually resides.

READ: How to Get a Marriage License in the Philippines: A Quick Guide

getting married in the philippines

The marriage license is usually released 2 weeks (10 days) after you apply for it.

Local civil registrars tend to interpret the guidelines differently so depending on where you’ll be applying, it may take either 10 consecutive days (including weekends) or 10 working days (excluding weekends) before the license is issued to you. However, the law is clear (Article 17 of the Family Code) that the waiting period for the marriage license should be 10 consecutive days.

Anyone of the applying parties can pick up the marriage license from the local civil registrar. No delivery option is available as of this writing.

Once issued, the marriage license can be used wherever you want to get married in the Philippines.

However, it is only valid within 120 days of issuance and “shall be deemed automatically canceled at the expiration of said period if the contracting parties have not made use of it.”


Requirements for Marriage License Application.

a. Personal appearance of the applying parties.

b. The latest certified true copy of you and your partner’s PSA birth certificates (original and photocopy).

You can obtain this from the Philippine Statistics Authority (formerly NSO) office or through online application via e-Census.

If no record of birth, the latest original copy of baptismal may also be accepted. Foreigners must obtain their birth certificates from their country of origin.

c. A notarized affidavit of parental consent or advice for applicants below 25 years old. 

The legal age for marriage in the Philippines is 18.

For applicants between 18 and 21 years old, a  notarized parental consent is required (under Art. 14 of the Family Code of the Philippines). The father, mother, or guardian (in the order of mention) can either personally appear with valid ID (original and photocopy) or provide notarized consent.

Meanwhile, for applicants between 21 and 25 years old, notarized parental advice is necessary. The parents or guardian is likewise required to either show up with a valid ID (original and photocopy) or just provide a notarized written account expressing that they’re aware of the couple’s intent to marry as well as any other advice they wish to give.

Forms are usually available at the local civil registrar/city civil registry department where you’ll file the application.

In case the parents refuse to provide notarized parental advice, you may submit a sworn statement telling the reason why they refused, after which the marriage license can only be issued 3 months after you filed the application.

d. Latest Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) or Certificate of Singleness (original and photocopy).

For couples above 25 years old, the CENOMAR provides proof that neither of you was married before.

To secure a copy, please follow the same procedure in ordering birth certificate–either walk-in at the nearest Census Serbilis Center or apply online via PSA Helpline.

A copy of CENOMAR costs Php 210 (walk-in) or Php 430 (online).

READ: How to Get a CENOMAR in the Philippines: 4 Easy Ways

e. Certificate of Attendance in a pre-marriage counseling, family planning, and responsible parenthood seminar (if applicable).

Most local civil registrars only require couples to attend the seminar if they’re 24 years old or younger.

Pre-Marriage counseling is usually conducted by the Church or the DSWD for civil marriages.

The family planning and responsible parenthood seminar, on the other hand, is held at the health department (specifically the Division of Maternal and Child Health) of your municipal/city hall.

In most areas, family planning and marriage counseling seminars are combined into one program and conducted at the same venue.

Be sure to check the schedules as some are conducted daily while others have a specific schedule within the week.

Note: Young couples are required by law to attend the seminar. In fact, bypassing the pre-marriage seminar is grounds for annulment.

f. Valid ID (original and photocopy).

The valid ID should show proof that one or both of you are resident/s of the city/town/municipality where you’re applying for the marriage license. For example, if you’re filing an application in Manila, the valid ID must show an address in Manila.

g. 2 pieces recent ID picture with white background (2 x 2 or 1 x 1, depending on your local civil registrar). Most local civil registrars no longer require pictures but better be prepared just in case they request for it.

h. Community tax certificates or CEDULA. You can obtain the CEDULA at the same city/municipal hall where you’ll file the marriage license application.

i. Marriage license application form (issued by the LCR office).

For foreigners:

  • Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry (Affidavit or Affirmation of Marital Status for British applicants) issued by the Consular Office/Embassy of the foreigner’s country.
  • If you’re a US citizen, the Consulate is prohibited by law to make any certification about your eligibility for marriage in the Philippines. They can only provide an Affidavit in Lieu of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry which you can obtain by appointment from the US Embassy in Manila or through walk-in application at the US Embassy in Cebu.
  • Photocopy of passport (showing the Date of Arrival and Data).

Other requirements:

  • If annulled, Certificate of Finality of Annulment from the Court (1 original and 2 photocopies) and Certificate of Registration from the Local Civil Registrar (1 original and 2 photocopies). 
  • If widowed, Death Certificate of the deceased spouse.
  • Some city halls may also request for Barangay Clearance.

how to apply for marriage license in the philippines

How to Get a Marriage License in the Philippines: 5 Steps.

Now that you know the basic requirements to bring, here are the steps you need to follow in order to get the marriage license:

  1. Get an application form (Form 90) from the local registry office.
  2. Fill out the form. The left portion of the sheet should be filled out by the groom while the other half by the bride.
  3. Submit the necessary documents (see the list of requirements above) together with the duly accomplished application form. To avoid hassles and long queues, go to the municipal office either in the morning or right after lunch.
  4. Attend the pre-marriage counseling, family planning, and responsible parenthood seminar. Submit the certificate of attendance and return on the date indicated on the claim slip.
  5. Wait for 10 days before the marriage license is released. Once issued, you can get married anywhere in the Philippines within 120 days from the date of issue.


2. Choose between a religious or civil wedding ceremony.

Depending on your budget or preference, you may choose between a religious wedding ceremony which is held in a church or civil wedding ceremony held in a municipal court, mayor’s office, or even the Supreme Court of the Philippines.

Option 1: Civil Wedding in the Philippines.

For most Filipinos, a civil wedding is a cheaper, faster, and more convenient alternative to a church wedding.

It is usually conducted by a judge of the RTC court, but it can also be performed by the mayor of a city.

If you’re short on cash or still saving up for your dream church wedding, this option is for you.

Civil Wedding Requirements.
  • Marriage license.
  • Possible requirement: Letter of Intent to Marry. As the name suggests, this letter should express your intent to marry and also includes your name and your fiancee’s name, your signatures, and your suggested wedding dates.
How to Have a Civil Wedding in the Philippines: 6 Steps.
  1. Go to your civil registrar’s office to apply and pay the required fees for a marriage license. Beware of swindlers. Make sure you only deal with the staff of the Civil Registrar’s office.
  2. Proceed to the Mayor’s office and submit the Letter of Intent to Marry (if applicable) together with the marriage license to the secretary.
  3. Wait for the confirmation that your suggested wedding dates are available. Civil weddings are usually officiated by a judge or the mayor in a city hall court. If you have a preferred venue, seek the approval of your chosen officiant first.
  4. Find at least two people within the legal age who will serve as your witnesses. If either you or your partner is below 18 years old, a parent or a guardian is required.
  5. On your wedding day, you need to pay a filing fee which usually costs Php 100. This is to enable them to forward their own facsimile of the marriage contract to the local civil registrar. You will then get the facsimile of the marriage certificate from PSA (formerly NSO) after 1 to 2 months.
  6. Proceed to the official civil wedding ceremony.

Update: We have written a definitive guide to a civil wedding in the Philippines which includes the requirements and all the essential steps to get married in a civil ceremony.

Option 2: Church Wedding in the Philippines.

Every Filipina bride has a dream of tying the knot in the church and wearing that long, elegant wedding dress.

And because the majority of Filipinos are Catholics, it’s no wonder why most prefer to get married in popular churches like Manila Cathedral, San Agustin Church, and the likes.

If you’re one of those lucky few who has a budget for a church wedding, there are specific requirements aside from the marriage license that you need to fulfill a few months before your actual wedding.

This is because the documents listed below have different validity periods and it’s your responsibility to ensure they don’t expire before your scheduled wedding date.

READ: Wedding Checklist: Your Complete Guide to Philippine Church Wedding

church wedding in the philippines

Church Wedding Requirements.

a. Marriage license.

The document must be valid and not expired. If you previously married in a civil wedding, you must submit a registered marriage contract.

b. Baptismal and confirmation certificates (6 months validity).

Because marriage is one of the church sacraments, you and your partner must submit proof that you have previously received the sacrament of baptism.

The copies that you’ll submit must be new and with an annotation “For marriage purposes only.” Depending on the church, you may be required to submit these upon application or 2 – 3 months before your wedding date.

Some parishes can’t issue these documents instantly as they don’t have digital records of these files yet. Make sure to process these papers as early as possible.

c. Latest Copy of PSA birth certificate and Certificate of No Record of Marriage (CENOMAR).

You can secure these documents either online (recommended for those based abroad) or by going to the PSA (formerly NSO) office.

Most churches accept birth certificates as long as they are still within 6 months from the date of issuance.

d.  Canonical interview.

This is when you and your partner will meet the parish priest (or his assistant) of your chosen church.

Request to the church coordinator to have the interview scheduled 1 to 2 months before your wedding.

The parish may also send you a list of questions before the interview to give you more time to prepare. During the interview, the priest will explore your decision to get married by asking questions about your family background, how long you have known each other, and so forth.

e. Pre-Cana/Marriage preparation seminar.

Because marriage is a lifelong commitment, this seminar is provided to help couples learn more about each other, resolve any issues prior to getting married, and gain insights about their future life together.

Topics may include parenting, sexuality, family planning, among others. Although most parish churches conduct the seminar every month, you should still ask the church coordinator about the schedules to make sure you won’t miss it.

Some churches also recognize other independent organizations like Catholic Engaged Encounter (CEE), Center for Family Ministries (CEFAM), and Discovery Weekend Philippines (DW) which provide seminars or retreats for couples. If you attend seminars from any of these, you need to submit certificates of attendance as proof.

If either you or your partner is currently based abroad, a certificate of attendance from the local parish is enough.

f. Marriage Banns.

These are written wedding announcements that will be posted on the bulletin boards of the couple’s respective parishes.

To obtain the marriage banns, both the bride and groom must know the specific name of their respective parish priest and the address of their parochial church.

After receiving this information, the wedding church will then prepare a letter requesting the marriage banns.

The banns will be posted in the couple’s parishes for three consecutive weeks, which explains why you need to complete the wedding requirements at least a month before the event.

Afterward, you can now retrieve the letter from the parish office with a reply indicating that no impediments exist and that the wedding can push through.

g. List of principal sponsors and entourage members (a.k.a. “ninongs” and “ninangs”).

The copy of the wedding invitation along with the official list of entourage members should be submitted to the parish church where you’ll get married a week before your wedding date.

Make sure to ask the church for any restrictions or additional requirements before finalizing the list. Some churches only allow a maximum number of principal sponsors and you may get fined if you go overboard.

The Manila Cathedral, for example, only allows a maximum of eight pairs of sponsors to make sure the wedding ceremony won’t exceed the allotted time.

Note that the names of the principal sponsors are important as they will be included in the marriage license.

h. Wedding or marriage permit.

Also known as Certificate of Freedom to Marry, this document may only be required for those who are based abroad.

While CENOMAR is required before you can obtain a marriage license, the Certificate of Freedom to Marry is a requirement of the church itself.

You need to obtain it from the parish where you usually attend. Requirements and fees may vary from one parish to another so contact your church abroad directly.

i. Confession.

Some churches require couples to attend confession days before the wedding. Through this event, they will be forgiven of their sins and receive the most out of the sacrament.

j. For those who have been previously married in a Catholic church, you also need to secure annulment clearance paper from your Archdiocese.

This annulment process is done to declare the previous church wedding as null and void. It’s different from the civil rites annulment process that legally changes the status of your previous marriage as invalid.

k. For “mixed marriages” where the other party is a non-Catholic, you need to get Clearance from the Archdiocesan Chancery Office at the Archbishop’s Office, 121 Arzobispo St., Intramuros, Manila.

To obtain this document, the non-Catholic bride or groom must submit Letter of Approval from the Pastor of the non-Catholic sect that not only approves the marriage but also declares the person has never been married before.

For foreigners, Legal Capacity to be Married issued by the embassy and Dispensation of Approval from the Parish Priest where the person currently resides is required.

For a complete list of requirement, contact the Archbishop’s Office directly.

l. For widow or widower, bring a copy of the death certificate of the deceased spouse and present it to the parish church.

m. For renewal of vows, present a copy of the Catholic Marriage Contract. 

Other requirements:

  • ID pictures. Size, color, and the number will depend on your church’s requirements.
  • List of songs, if applicable.
  • Permits for photographers and videographers, if applicable.

Note: If you have other questions, please contact your city hall or church directly. Know the exact date and time when all the requirements will be released so you can plan your wedding, hassle-free.

3. Obtain your marriage certificate.

A marriage certificate is an important document containing details of your marriage, signed by the couple and witnesses or all in attendance.

According to the Philippine Statistics Authority, a marriage certificate “is a document that shows social union or a legal contract between people that creates kinship. Such a union, often formalized via a wedding ceremony, may also be called matrimony.”

how to get marriage certificate in the philippines

Fortunately, you can apply for a marriage certificate online and have it delivered anywhere in the Philippines or abroad in a few simple steps.


How to Get Marriage Certificate in the Philippines: 7 Steps.

1. Go to PSA online application website and select “Click here to request now.”

how to apply for marriage certificate online


2. Read Terms and Conditions and click “I Accept.”

marriage certificate philippines


3. Enter your name and contact details to the “Contact and Delivery Information” form.

In the Delivery address, you can choose the specific country and address where you want the marriage certificate to be delivered.

Once you’re done, click “Next.” A box will then appear summarizing all the information you’ve just entered. If everything is accurate, click “Confirm.”

how to get marriage certificate online


4. Add a request by clicking the button that corresponds to Marriage Certificate.

marriage certificate online request


5. Enter all the requested information in the designated boxes. If you’re requesting a marriage certificate, you need to provide the following information:

  • The number of copies requested.
  • Husband’s name or wife’s maiden name.
  • Place and date of marriage.
  • Purpose of the request.

Once you’re done, click “Save.”

getting marriage certificate in the philippines


6. Upon completing the online application, you will be issued a Batch Request Number and a corresponding Batch Reference Number.

When paying for all requests in a batch, indicate the Batch Request Number. If you’re only paying for a particular request only, specify the Batch Reference Number.

As of this writing, the marriage certificate costs Php 330 per copy which is inclusive of government taxes, processing, and delivery. If you’re applying from another country, the cost is USD 20.30 per copy.

You may pay through the following accredited payment channels:


Delivery within the Philippines:

  • Credit card.
  • BDO Branches, Online Banking (BDO account holders only), and ATM (BDO account holders only).
  • Unionbank Branches, Online Banking (Unionbank account holders only), and ATM (Unionbank account holders only).
  • Bayad Center.


Delivery to other countries:

  • Credit card.
  • BDO Remit subsidiary offices and remittance partners abroad offering Kabayan Bills Bayad.
  • Foreign correspondent banks.


7. Wait for your marriage certificate to be delivered.

The following are the estimated delivery times according to delivery address:

  • Metro Manila – 3 to 5 working days after payment.
  • Cities or provinces within the Philippines – 4 to 9 working days after payment.
  • Other countries: 6 to 8 weeks after payment.

If you’re in the Philippines and you want to receive the marriage certificate within 1 to 2 days, you may apply in person at the nearest Census Serbilis Center. For those in other countries, a special courier service offers faster delivery.


Frequently Asked Questions.

1. What’s the difference between a civil wedding and a church wedding in the Philippines?

2. How much does a wedding cost in the Philippines?

3. How can I get married in the Philippines with a foreigner?

4. How can we apply for a marriage license if one or both of us work abroad (with limited vacation leaves)?

5. Who are exempted from getting a marriage license?

6. I’m a Catholic but my partner is not. Can we still get married in a Catholic Church?

7. Does the Catholic Church recognize civil marriage?

8. We were already married in a civil ceremony but want to get married again, this time at a church wedding. How?

9. If a couple decides to have a civil wedding before church wedding in the Philippines, is the latter considered a “renewal of vows”?

10. If we are already civilly married and then decide to get married in the church, do we need to apply for a marriage license again?

11. I just got married abroad. Do I need to report my marriage to the Philippine Embassy? Why and how?

12. We just got married. What should we do first after the wedding?


About the Author.

Luisito E. Batongbakal Jr. is the founder and chief content strategist of FilipiKnow, a leading online portal for free educational, Filipino-centric content. His curiosity and passion for learning have helped millions of Filipinos around the world get access to free insightful and practical information at the touch of their fingertips. With him at the helm, FilipiKnow has won numerous awards including the Top 10 Emerging Influential Blogs 2013, the 2015 Globe Tatt Awards, and the 2015 Philippine Bloggys Awards (nomination). Connect with him on Linkedin.


FilipiKnow strives to ensure each article published on this website is as accurate and reliable as possible. We invite you, our reader, to take part in our mission to provide free, high-quality information for every Juan. If you think this article needs improvement, or if you have suggestions on how we can better achieve our goals, let us know by sending a message to admin at filipiknow dot net

244 thoughts on “How to Get Married in the Philippines – An Ultimate Guide

  1. Pingback: How to Renew PRC License Online: 2020 Updated Guide
  2. Pingback: How to Get a Marriage License in the Philippines: A Quick Guide
  3. Pingback: How to Get a Marriage License in the Philippines
  4. Pingback: Special Power of Attorney in the Philippines (with Free Template)
  5. Pingback: How to Become a Caregiver in Canada: A Definitive Guide for Filipinos
  6. Pingback: How to Get a Driver's License: Application and Requirements 2020
  7. Hi, I would like to ask po kung allowed po ba kumuha ng CENOMAR sa PSA kahit na hndi registered sa PSA. Filipino and New Zealand Citizen po ako. kakakuha ko lang ng Filipino Citizenship ko last July 2019. We are getting married sa May 3, 2020. Thank you

    1. I think only those with PSA/NSO birth certificates can obtain it. But inquire at them directly to make sure.

  8. Hi! Good day!
    May I asked help about what to do in my situation wherein I and my Japanese husband have already married in Japan through civil registration 4 years ago. Also, we reported our marriage to the Philippine Embassy so apparently we registered our marriage in the Philippines, right? But now we are planning to have a wedding ceremony in the Philippines hence we weren’t able to have a ceremony or celebration during that actual time. My question is should we still undergo the process of civil registration in the Philippines even we reported our marriage registration? Or shall we just proceed to have a wedding ceremony? I need advice on what we should do to make a celebration in the Philippines.

    1. Do you want to get married in a Philippine church? If yes, no need to apply for a marriage license because you were already previously married. You can simply present your report of Marriage and proceed with the ceremony.

  9. Hi
    I would like to enquire if nationals of 2 different countries can get married in Philippines on tourist visa?
    And both individuals have different faith

    1. Unfortunately, we don’t have any information regarding that. Please ask your respective Embassies to know your options, if there’s any.

  10. Hi! I saw previous comments regarding having a garden wedding, but in both cases above, they were already married beforehand. For us, we are getting married in January 2020 (garden wedding). Should we follow the steps for having a civil wedding? Thank you in advance! 🙂

  11. Gud p.m, ask k lang kung ok lang po bah n mauna and wedding ceremony and blessing, yong Guy KC American citizen, then yong girl Filipino citizen, eh yong vacation leave n’ya ay limitado lang kaya nah plan lahat , kaya kumuha sila ng solemizing Officer, pero hinabol naman nila yong marriage licence, posible pb nah mah register yong kasal sa PSA kahit nauna yong ceremony and blessing then Process agad ng marriage licence bago umalis yong forigner

    1. I don’t know how it will be registered but you should have already been issued a marriage license before any wedding ceremony can take place.

  12. Hi, sort of confused on one detail of having a Church wedding after a Civil wedding. If a church wedding requires a Certificate of No Record of Marriage (CENOMAR), aren’t you already technically married and would have a record of marriage once you have a Civil wedding? Or am I misunderstanding what a CENOMAR is?

    1. If you were previously married in a civil ceremony, you no longer need to provide CENOMAR and marriage license for your second wedding in a church. Instead, you should provide a marriage certificate. For more info, check out this article:

  13. Hi! question po
    regarding the church wedding after nun need ba e file sa psa yung marriage license? what if hindi na e registered is it consider na married ka pa din? thanks

  14. Good day po,
    Ang marriage license ay pinaayos sa “fixer” at tinanggap naman ng simbahan at naikasal sila, nagkaron rin ng pirmahan sa simbahan (marriage contract) at nai forward po sa LCR.
    Hindi po alam kung valid ba ang nangyaring kasalan. Liable po ang simbahan doon? Ofw po kase yung lalaki at yung babae po nasa pinas ang nagpaayos s “fixer”

    Salamat po

    1. I can’t tell for sure but sooner or later, magkakaproblema kayo if hindi pala legit yung license. Ang tanong: Naissuehan na po ba kayo ng marriage certificate?

  15. Question: Do Philippines require i show them my income before i can marry? What income is too little? How much money do i need to make for them to approve me to marry one of there citizens?

    “A foreigner intent on marrying a citizen of the Philippines must prove both “moral” and financial capabilities.”

    If i dont meet financial capabilities can they deny me? What is the minimum they would like to see? I only make $2000 Canadianper month.

    Thank you- Josh

  16. Hi. I am Filipina and my fiance is Pakistani. We are both Muslim and we decided to get married in the Philippines this year. He is married and as per Islamic rules is it allowed to marry twice. However I want to know if we can get Marriage License in the Philippines even if he is currently married. And/Or please provide the requirements and process regarding this. Thanks

  17. Hi,about dun sa seminar, na uubusan kaya sila ng slot? or the moment na mag pasa kami ng application by monday, tuesday pwede na kami kaagad pumunta ng seminar? and also 27 days kaya kaya ng time frame namin

    Sept 9 – pasa ng requirements
    Sept 10 – Seminar
    Sept 11 to 24 – Waiting sa marriage license
    Sept 25 – Pa scedule agad ng wedding (26,27,30, Oct 1, 2) depende pa yan sa availability ng mayor or judge

    kaya kaya?

  18. Hello good day, I just want to ask if grounds ba for void of marriage kapag kinasal sa kasalang bayan na walang marriage license or cenomar na sinubmit at hindi rin umattend ng mga seminar, yung nanay kse nun lalaking kinasal eh kamag anak yung mayor kaya on the spot kinasal kagad ng walang kahit ano requirements tapos yung girl that time kaka 22 years old palang walang parent consent o kahit ano kase bglaan kinasal at walang kamag yung girl o magulang nun that day ng kasal? Pwde ba I file ng void of marriage yung ganun?

  19. Good morning,
    I have been reading reading articles about a filling a divorce, I am Danish and I’ve been married to a Filipina 2015 and we have two kids but she kidnapped my sons and doesn’t want to go back In denmark, so I file a divorce in here my country I got it 2 months ago so now I am single in my status,, but I want to file i divorce in Philippines too so that I am totally single.. Do you know how to thanks. Have a good day.

    Regards, lars

    1. Sorry but Philippines doesn’t have divorce yet. You may talk to a lawyer to help you with the process of annulment.

      1. Hi Po! Greetings!
        Me and my husband are planning to get get married in church by next year.. ano kaya ang mga requirements for church wedding ?? Kasal kami sa Mayors office and got the married certificate…thank you..


      2. The requirements are listed above, except for the marriage license since you already got married previously through civil union.

  20. Hi ,
    My question is how do we apply PSA MARRIAGE certificate ?
    Me and fiancee get married in ISLAM way in the Philippines koronadal city . Last month june 20 .2019, and our marriage still not registered in any municipality offices
    Me from india

    Plz help us to do right way

  21. Hello, thank you for your website. I have one question. I am currently a dual citizen (US and Philippine). I am currently doing research, but for completion’s sake, which route would I follow? Would I assume I am Filipino or Foreigner when marrying in the Philippines? We do plan on moving to the US after our wedding in the Philippines.

    You stated, “If you’re a US citizen, the Consulate is prohibited by law to make any certification about your eligibility for marriage in the Philippines. They can only provide an Affidavit in Lieu of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry which you can obtain by appointment from the US Embassy in Manila or through walk-in,” so this lead me to my question. Will I do both or only one of these steps while in the Philippines? Thank you!

  22. Hello , This october with my fiance plan to have wedding on Phillipines. I am Slovenian citizen and i want to ask you about Legal Capacity . On the Phillipine Embassy here in Slovenia consular say to me that is this Legal Capacity valid to use there . Is this true or i need to go in Manila on Slovenian Embassy too , cause other people say i will need to go there too . And about papers i want to know if it needs to be authentication by the court? Thank you for your answer

    1. Different countries follow different guidelines and procedures. The best authority to answer your question is the Philippine Embassy. If that’s what they told you, then by all means follow it.

  23. Pingback: How to Get PSA Birth Certificate in 2019: 4 Ways (with Pictures)
  24. Pingback: Wedding Checklist: Your Complete Guide to Philippine Church Wedding
  25. Pingback: How to Open BPI Savings Account: 6 Steps (with Pictures)
  26. Good day, we are planning to have a civil wedding this December, my fiancé is Italian, my question is, do we still have to translate all his documents before we apply for the marriage license? Thank you

  27. Hello, question. My partner is in the States, he’s a green card holder. How I can apply for marriage license, since one of the requirements is the appearance of the couple.

    Please help and suggest. Thanks in Advance.

  28. Hi Filipiknow! Is a Special Power of Attorney accepted to comeplete the requirements (family planning seminar) and fill out and file the marriage license application in behalf of the would- be bride and groom since the bride works in a cruise ship and the groom resides overseas. And time is of important essence for their return to the Philippines for the civil wedding. Both bride and groom are Filipinos.

    1. Unfortunately, personal appearance is a must. You can confirm this with the local civil registrar. Perhaps you can do one of the suggestions listed here:

      1. Hello..I am a filipina and my fiance is a belgian we are planning to get married here in PH on feb. Or march question is when applying a marriage license does the appearance of both parties is a must? Can I just apply it by myself in our local government?coz he’ll be probably still at the states and only have few weeks to be here in PH..

      2. Yes, physical appearance of both parties is a must. You might find a workaround by reading this guide:

      3. Hi po!
        gusto ko lang po itanong. What if kinasal kayo, civil wedding. Then a few years later na decide kayo mag church wedding na. Ano pong mas i aacknowledge na date ng kasal nyo. Yung nag civil wedding kayo or yung church wedding?

        Thanks po sa pag reply

      4. Kung ano po yung nauna. In your case, the date of your civil wedding is your official date of marriage. For more info, check out this page:

  29. Does my fiance needs CNI to bring at the British embassy in Manila to have it transformed into something else?Or just print out Affirmation in the the Manila consulate for civil wedding?Does a filipina needs to be there too to get her own affirmation as well?hope to hear back .thanks a bunch

    1. Hello,

      Me and my hubby has been married in civil last 2018. Next year, we will get married again in a garden wedding and will be officiated by a Pastor.

      Do we still have to obtain another marriage license?

      1. No need for another marriage license. Present the marriage certificate from your previous wedding instead.

  30. Hi,

    I’m a filipina and I’m getting married in Jan 2020 in Malaysia (Muslim wedding) to a Malaysian. We are planning to have a civil wedding (garden wedding) in the Philippines in March 2020. Do I still need to apply for a marriage license?

    1. Make sure you file a report of Marriage at the Philippine Consulate so you can have your marriage registered with the PSA. By doing so, you will no longer need to apply for a marriage license by the time you arrive here and use the marriage certificate instead.

  31. Everyone should know some judges and mayors refuse to perform marriage ceremony between foreigners and filipina. In one city in Quezon Province it is impossible to get a civil ceremony. I’m sure this prejudice exists elsewhere.

  32. good day may tanong po ako regarding po sa pag apply nang marriage license. pwede po bang ang fiance ko nalang ang mag apply kasi po ofw ako. at pwede po namin e pa kuha ang marriage license sa parents ko or parents niya if ever.? salamat po

  33. Hi! Can my relatives can get my marriage license when its release?Because we only have one week there to process the said documents.And we were come back in Taiwan for work .So we cannot wait the 10days .Does my family or my parents can claim the marriage license ?

  34. Is it true that getting married through christian wedding it requires that one of the parties is a member of the church?. Is there a law stating that? Me and my partner got married recently on June18 2019 with a non license pastor. We only have one month preparation for the wedding because my parner is already pregnant. I’m a born again christian and my church is in Manila but we are living in Cebu. According to the pastor who that it requires for a license pastor to officiate a wedding if one of us is a member of the church. And it needs to be my pastor from Manila. We ask if we can be a Member of their church but he said that it seems that we are just forcing our self to be a member just becuase we are getting merried and its not our will to become a member. So our marriage is not legal since it was officiated by a non license pastor and we still need to have a civil wedding. Is there a law from PSA staing that it needs to have atleast one to be a member of the church?

    1. hi Mark,

      Yes it’s true. So what happened on your wedding day is just a mock wedding since both parties knew there there were no legal and essential requisites that were served. But let me know , did you provide the marriage license? and were your marriage contract submitted to PSA after the wedding? Need further details because that may fall to a civil crime against the pastor if I’m not mistaken, and of course, a voidable marriage when it was submitted.

      Cris Magno
      [email protected]

  35. Hello po. May i ask a question. My boyfriend and i is planning to have a civil wedding here in the Philippines in our local government. He is from slovakia, a slovakian citizen and i am a Filipina. My question is does all his documents needed for marriage needs to be superlegalized in his country before we submit it here?
    Thank you for your assistance
    – jayd

  36. Is it possible for me to report our marriage and my husband still has a record stated that he is still married coz her ex reported their marriage before

  37. Hi, my fiance and I are both living in New Zealand, however want to get married in the Philippines. Do we need to get a Marriage Licence from both countries? Thanks in advance.

  38. Hello~ I just wanna ask… how can we get a person who can marry us fast like a solemnizer or a judge etc..? My fianceé has limited time in the ph only. We will get our marriage license this coming June 17.. we want to have wedding the day after we get our marriage license. Can u recommend us something about it? And also what is the fastest way to process the psa marriage certificate? I’ve heard about the “advance endorsement”.. it will make ur psa marriage certificate faster.. how can i do that? If u do know.. please tell me… TIA 😀

  39. Question! So the seminar… Is the pre-marrriage seminar different from the councelling. Because me and my partner are over 30yrs old and we want to know if we are okay to not attend the councelling.

  40. My fiancée is Filipina and she is 26 years old. However I am Portuguese and 24 years old. Do I still need the notarized parental advice?
    It is listed in the general requirements, but not in the requirements for foreigners.
    Thank you.

  41. i just want to confirm regarding the filing of ML and MC: after the wedding, is it possible to submit it in any LCR in the country? for example the couple applied for their ML in Baguio (the bride is from Baguio) and have their wedding ceremony at the same city, but somehow the husband is from other city and planning to submit their ML at the LCR where the husband lives? is that possible?

  42. Hi! My fiance and I are getting married next month in June. He’s from Rwanda and I’m Filipina. There is no embassy for his country in the Philippines. What requirements do we need in order to get his Certificate of No Impediment? Do we need to pass through any Embassy? How does this work? And is it possible to expedite the process to make it less than 10 days to get our marriage license? Really need help!

  43. Hi, do Americans need to have their birth certificate be Authenticated in Philippine’s Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) for Civil Wedding requirement? Likewise the Filipina partner too?
    Any feedbacks are much appreciated.
    Thank you.

  44. Hi po, kamusta?

    We are Filipino immigrants living in the United States, we are already civilly married in the US but we will have a Church wedding in the Philippines (Quezon City).

    Do we still need to get a marriage license / permit from Quezon City?

    It honestly doesn’t matter whether or not our marriage is recorded in the Philippines as we live in the US anyway. We’re just having a traditional Church wedding as requested by our families. Although I want to make sure that the Church will allow us to wed even without the license/permit from QC.

    Thank you.

    1. Did you report/register your marriage to the Philippine Embassy there? If so, your marriage will be recognized and you can simply present the Report of Marriage instead of a license.

  45. Hi! My partner and I are both Filipinos and are currently working in London. We are already got married in here civilly (not in Philippine Embassy) and now we are planning to go home for a church wedding. Do we still need a marriage license and CENOMAR at home? Thanks!

    1. Thanks for pointing it out. Where exactly did you get married? Filipinos who got married abroad must file a Report of Marriage at the Philippine Embassy/Consulate. Contact them directly for the requirements and procedure. The Report of Marriage is filed so that the Philippines will recognize your marital union. It should be done within 12 months of the date of marriage.

  46. Hi,

    We just had a civil wedding on March 08, 2019 ( Friday). Then we personally brought the marriage certificate from the municipality for registration in PSA along with the endorsement letter. However, PSA said such request are now being sent via LBC only and so eventhough we are already there in the PSA, we had to go to LBC, otherwise they will not accept the docs.

    I asked the officer how can I expedite request to get a PSA marriage certificate, she said they no longer offer the previous service where you can pay extra. She also said that it will take only 2 weeks to process now.

    I live far from the town where we got married and takes 4 hrs to travel to that PSA branch to get the certificate. I’ve asked the same office if there is a contact number or email I can have to confirm availability before I go since I am 8 mos pregnant already. But she said nothing, nada, zero.

    I went to the PSA branch in the city where I live, but no records found yet. The office explained that they are in different region, therefore before the marriage registration goes in all their database and sync, it should be sent to the main office in Manila, that is why it take normally 6 mos.

    My question now is, does PSA process registration in 2 weeks as I was told and does it mean that our records can only be requested in the region or branch where we registered our marriage? It is just so frustration that PSA is claiming to be better, but still giving pain to the public such this.

  47. Hi, can we attend the pre-cana seminar early like 8 months before the wedding day or should it be at most 6 months before or closer to the wedding day? Thanks in advance.

  48. I am a US citizen. i would like to marry a filipino woman. We would like to get married in America. Any obstacles from having this happen?

  49. hi there,
    me and my fiancee are planning to get married in the Philippines next year, but we are both naturalized canadian citizen. We just want to ask what are the requirements and procedure for the foreigner to get married in the philippines since we are not Filipino anymore.
    Thank you very much!

  50. hi. ask lng po ako. sana masagot,ano ibig sabihin nung sa baptismal cert. na valid for 6mos. pro dpat iacquire mo sya not more than 3 mos? sa aug.9 pa kc plan namin. okay lang kaya kumuha na kami ng baptismal cert. nextweek?

    1. @Mae

      I edited the info to make it clearer. Six months po ang validity ng baptismal certificate so kayo na po ang bahalang magestimate. Depende sa church kung saan kayo ikakasal, the certificates may be requested upon your application or 2 to 3 months before the wedding.

  51. How about Christian weddings where the solemnizing officer is a Pastor? Is there a different process for that?

  52. I am 24 and it says I need parental consent. What if I dont have a contact to one of my parents since they were separated and the last thing I know the other was incarcenated. Is it possible that the ones who raised me (mom and grandma) will sign the consent?

  53. Hello! My plan po kami magpakasal ng bf ko by April pagdating nia.Kailang pa ba nag divorce decree niya pag ngpakasal kami sa mayor’s.At kailang pa ba namin magpnta ng Denmark Embassy Manila.Para kumuha nag Certificate of legal
    capacity merriage.Thankyou Please Help me?

  54. Hi there,

    I have some questions that hopefully you can help answer please?

    My partner’s annulment was already approved and we already submitted the documents to PSA for his change of status from married to single so we can get a cenomar to apply for a marriage license.

    Now PSA told us that it will take 2 months to process this. We already set our wedding date on May 4, 2019. Supposedly, we will be able to get the updated version of the cenomar around April 21, that’s 2 weeks before our wedding date.

    What if there will be a delay in the processing of the updated cenomar? Can we still appply for a marriage license without the updated cenomar and maybe just some other documents that prove it is still on process and that the previous marriage is already annulled?

    Thank you so much!

    1. @Elmie Dawn

      I think you should relay that information to the municipal office/city hall where you’ll be applying for the marriage license. They can make necessary adjustments as long as you can provide proof that the CENOMAR is on its way.

  55. My partner is a Dutch nationale who is a permanent resident of Canada for 30 years now. Been married and divorced in Canada. My question is, which embassy is he going to get the Legal capacity to marry, Dutch or Canadian embassy?.

  56. This is helpful!

    However, regarding mixed marriage. Birn again po ako (girl), ano-ano naman po ung requirements from Catholic church ni fiancè if sa Christian Born Again Pastor po kami papakasal?

    Thank you in advance =)

  57. Good Thing we can used our marriage license anywhere in the philippines within 120 days. Plan kasi namin magpakasal sa province para di na rin kami masyado maabala sa work. Yung sa church na lang na seminar pero sabi nila depende daw parish priest na pagpapakasalan nyo kung papayag na sa ibang lugar kami magseminar ?.

  58. I am a UK citizen intending to marry my filipina fiancée this year, on my affirmation form obtained in the U.K.,it states at the bottom of the form that the place and date of marriage is required.
    Obviously this means then I will have to get the marriage license and fix the date before going to my consulate in Manila ?

  59. How soon can we get our Marriage Certificate? We got married on the 7th of January 2019. Do we have to wait 5-6mos?

  60. Hello. Tanong ko lang, pareho kasi kami ng fiance ko nagtatrabaho dito sa Manila. Our plan is sa province ko kami magpapakasal which is sa bohol pa. Ang gusto po naming mangyari is dito kami mag aapply o kukuha ng wedding banns sa church na malapit lang sa amin. Possible po kaya na dito namin aasikasuhin lahat ng requirements for the church wedding and then yung kasal po sa province? Thank you.

  61. Hi. My fiance is from pakistan and he’s dubai based. He’s flying here in ph feb 2019. Where should he get the certificate of capacity to marry? In his embassy at dubai or their embassy here in ph??? Pls help. Thank you?

  62. Hi po ask ko lng po about our problem ikakasal kmi ng fiance ko this June and nag aasikaso na kmi ng papers but since we’re both below 25 kailangan nmin ng parents advice .. Kya lng nung nagpunta kmi sa municipal hall nmin sinabihan kmi na dpat Yung parents advice ng fiance ko dun daw gagawin sa pH embassy sa us dn papapirmahan daw sa head ng embassy ng us bgo nya dalhin d po nmin Alam Ang gagawin.. nasa Arizona KC sya tas nsa Virginia Ang pH embassy . Kailangan po ba tlga na sa pH embassy gawin Yung parents advice ? Dba pweding parents nya na lng gumawa then ipa notarize lng?

  63. HI maam/sir pwede po pahinge nang advice kung ano ang dapit gawin gusto po naming mag apply nang marriage licence sa case po namin OFW ako diba both parties dapat kumuha or mag apply kung pwede ba ang partner ko nalang ang mag apply.kung pwede ba ganun.tnxs sa reply God bless.

  64. Can I submit my baptismal and confirmation certificate first to the church we’re gonna get married at and then apply for marriage license? I’m only in the country for a week, next arrival is a week before the wedding already.

  65. Hi I’m a 26 y.o Filipina here in UAE. Is it possible for me to get married to Muslim foreigner man in Philippines like in civil wedding. If so, do we need apply to a marriage license even though he is a Muslim. He is single and we are planning to tie the knot next year. Thanks

  66. Hi,

    How long would it take to secure a copy for the Marriage Certificate after we get married in the Philippines? Thank you.

  67. I’m English, my future wife Filipino, we have all the necessary documentation ready to get married bar processing the Affidavit, Affirmation from the British Embassy which asks where and when we are getting married.

    The Filipino Registrar won’t give us a date and place of marriage until the British Embassy deals with the Affidavit, Affirmation which as stated is not possible because the Filipino Registrar wants the completed Affidavit, Affirmation first.

    I’ve tried contacting the British Embassy by email which to be honest was a complete and utter waste of time as all they do is bounce your email back with a list of department websites which have information that if like me you have already read. Persevering I managed to get a reply but one can tell the sender has not read my email in detail as again all they give is information I’ve already read and doesn’t answer my simple query.

    Really don’t know what to do bar just thinking of any old date and place as the form has to be completed in type before your Embassy appointment and will be rejected if written by hand.

    1. @Peter Rabbit

      The registrar isn’t allowed to issue a marriage license unless you give them them the affidavit first. Why are you waiting for the registrar to give you the time and place of your wedding? The couple should be the one setting them.

  68. Hi, to get married I need a single statement from my country?
    Do I need a criminal record?
    If get married (not in church) can I apply for a married visa?
    I heard foreigners can’t divorese only in your country!.?
    What rights you got after married or divorce?


  69. Greetings!
    I am from Goa, India and want to get married to a Filipina.
    Kindly let me know what Documents I’ve to get from here (India) to get married to a Filipina in the Philippines.
    Thanking you,
    Yours sincerely,
    Joaozinho Martins


      We’ve written a separate guide to getting married with a foreigner in the Philippines. You can read it here:

  70. Hello . I just want to ask my fiancee’ has only 20 days leave to his work, he is base in taiwan is it impossible to marry in a short period of time.

  71. hi there,
    just wanna know, one of the exemptions from getting a marriage license is that when a couple (man and woman) has lived together as husband and wife for at least five years…the couple can write in an affidavit the circumstances surrounding their relationship. just want to clarify to whom should the couple give the affidavit? to the judge right away ? if its a civil wedding. should it be notarized… please expound more info regarding this one. thanks a lot.

  72. Good day!
    I would like to inquire if the form for marriage application in Philippines has a charge? I am a resident of Liloan Cebu and I have a friend getting married. The staff in the local registrar asked for 700 peso as charged. It is legal? Please let me know.

  73. My fiance is Catholic and I’m a born again Christian and we plan to get married in a church. What are the requirements for the non-catholic party (me)?

  74. Hi,
    My wife passed away last January 2018. Can I marry next year? July 2019, maybe. What are the requirements should I provide to void my marriage from my first wife?
    Also, is there any faster way to apply marriage license for Civil Wedding? She is in Taiwan and I am in the middle east. Both of us are having 1 month vacation only.
    Thanks in advance.

  75. “e. Certificate of Attendance in a pre-marriage counseling, family planning, and responsible parenthood seminar. ”

    Our christian pastor will be conducting our ceremony. We will also be going thru the pre-marital counseling. Will this be credited? What documents/certification can i ask from him so i can submit as part of proof?


  76. Greetings

    I am from Saudi Arabia, my marital status is divorced and planning to get married to Filipina next year 2019. I will obtain a legal permission granted by Saudi Govt for marriage from aboard and delivered to the Embassy in Manila. I will also do all requirements for legal marriage as mentioned in this site. I have two questions and would appreciate your clarification.

    * Legal marriage permission by Saudi Govt means complete check up on my all legal statuses like; crimes, personal and public obligations, social background, good moral character, health and mental status, financial income source and capacity of spending, marital status, national address and all other historical information.

    ** in addition to the marriage permission I have a legal authenticated approval for my monthly income by the Saudi Govt which I will have it authenticated by the Embassy in Manila.

    First- Based on what I mentioned above is there required approval of the financial status through a local Bank in the Philippines? If yes, then, how much fund it should show in the Bank Account?

    Second – Will I be permitted to stay with my Filipina wife in the Philippines for long period and what type of visa I will be granted.

    Your clarification is highly appreciated.



  77. Hi can I ask a question??upon applying the marriege licence it says that we need to attend a marriege seminar the chuch or in DSWD if civil??my question is, is it ok we attend in the seminar in the other chuch but we get married in the other chuch ??I was confuse about it..cause my fiance is a foreigner.

  78. Hi, we’re planning to move our weeding date to next year but our marriage license expires by Dec, what should we do or how can we renew the marriage license?

    1. @Dee

      Unfortunately, you have to apply for a new marriage license since it’s only valid for 120 days. There’s no such thing as marriage license renewal.

  79. Hi I would like to ask if it is possible that my fiance will acquired of the intended requirements needed in his origin and will not go thru their embassy in Philippines.
    And where can we apply for marriage license and how long will it takes?

  80. Hi! I dont see any link for baptismal and confirmation certificates. Cant these be requested online? The church where I was baptized and confirmed is too far from where I live. Also, from what I remember, my surname in my baptismal record is misspelled. Will I have a problem with this?

  81. Hi,

    I’m a Filipino planning to get married with a french national. Based on this forum,it’s says he has to get a Certificate if Legal Capacity to Marry. Will this document expire? Which do you think is less hassle on document procedures church or civil wedding (city hall marriage)?


    1. @Atemai

      I don’t know about the expiration date but I know for a fact that civil wedding is less tedious (not to mention cheaper) tha church wedding.

    2. @Atemai

      Same here. Me and my fiancé ( French national ) is planning to get married Aug 2020. We have booked an appointment for the CCAM on Feb 3, 2020. Are you married now? Did you do the same?

  82. I am a Filipina , who is going to marry a Cambodian ,The Legal Capacity to marry should be issued by the Cambodian Embassy in Manila but since they dont issue anymore because of the human trafficking problems in Cambodia what should we do, I really need help on this matter.

  83. Hi,

    Just to clarify, my partner (Australian citizen) and I (Filipino, temporary resident in Australia) are getting married on one of the beaches in the Philippines.

    How do I get the marriage licence application form? I don’t reside in Manila anymore as I am in Australia living with my partner. We would just be flying in the Philippines to get married.

    The rest of the requirements like CNI, CENOMAR, birth certificate are all sorted but the licence.

    Please clarify. Thank you.

  84. We get married this march and my bf have the affirmation of martial status from UK. We need to go in consulate to an authentication of this?

  85. Hi, i would like to ask if it is possible that my fiance will acquired all the intended requirements needed in his origin and will not go thru their embassy in Philippines?

  86. Hi i need your help me and my brazilian gf we’re dating for 4 years now and we we’re planning to get married here in philippines i want to know what documents she needs to bring here in the philippines?and also for apllying for resident visa

  87. Hello.. is it possible to apply for a marriage license without the presence if my soon to be husband? He’s presently working in taiwan. He will return home on dec 6 and our target date of wedding will be on dec 12. I believe that marriage license will release after 10 working days.. w/c impossible for us yo make with our situation. Anyone can help me with this matter? Thanks in advance

  88. Hello there. This is not a reply as well as I do have a question too. My fiance and I were both Canadians and we are going to get married in the Philippines. Our wedding date is December 2, 2018 and we are arriving there 5 day before the wedding. Based on the online information, we need 10 days waiting period after filing a Marriage License. Is there anyway we could fill up the marriage application online. Or can we go to the Philippine Embassy in Canada and personally apply for a Marriage Licence?

    Thank you.

  89. Hello,
    My husband and I got married in U.S citizen. I’am a u.s citizen and my husband is a permanent resident card holder. We are getting married in the Philippines this coming October thru and will be officiated by our head pastor in the church.
    do i still need to obtain marriage license in the Phillipines or do the other requirements.
    can I just have the marriage certificate as a proof of us getting married in PH and not submit that to NSo because we won’t be able to be there within 2 weeks in PH due to work commitments.

    I would really appreciate your response,

  90. Hello, this is very informative. I just want to ask if can I process the legal capacity in behalf of my partner who is a foreigner? Thank you and God bless!

    1. @Christina

      I suggest asking your LCR directly.

      As stated in the article, “local civil registrars tend to interpret the guidelines differently so depending on where you’ll be applying, it may take either 10 consecutive days (including weekends) or 10 working days (excluding weekends) before the license issued to you.”

  91. Hi! I just have a question. We are just confused whether the 10 day count starts from the date of filing (before attendance of seminar) or will it start only from the day of the seminar? He will be here by Nov. 5 and we can possible have all requirement by Nov. 6 but the seminar in our municipality only happens every Thursday, does it mean that the 10 days will start from Thursday or will it start on Nov. 6 (Tuesday)?

    We will really appreciate your prompt response and God Bless ☺️

    1. @Mhel

      As stated in the article, “marriage license is usually released 2 weeks (10 days) after you apply for it.”

      So the waiting period starts from the date of filing. You can submit the Certificate of Attendance within that time frame.

  92. Good day,

    May I ask if what are the difference of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry and the Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage?..or this documents are the same?

    1. @Elmardenskie

      All foreigners who are planning to get married here in the Philippines are required to get either an Affidavit or Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry.

      The Certificate of No Impediment (CNI), on the other hand, can be obtained from the local registrar of the foreign national’s country of origin. It will prove that he/she wasn’t married previously in that home country. Depending on the Embassy/Consulate, the CNI may or may not be a requirement for the issuance of Affidavit or Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry.

  93. Hi what if parents ko medyo busy na. Okay lang po ba sa kahit na anong city hall ang notarized affidavit ng both parents namin?

  94. good day. itatanong ko lang kung pagkakasal ba sa civil valid na agad o may grace period pa?? thank you

  95. @FilipiKnow
    Salamat sa reply. Much appreciated.? Court wedding po sa New Zealand. Do you have any ideas po requirements ng renewal of vows? Another question po, allowed po ba magkasal sa Pinas ang isang registered wedding celebrant from NZ? Thanks again.?

  96. Thanks for this, very informative article.? My question po is what if kasal na abroad, need pa rin po ba mag-apply ng marriage license? Gusto po kasi sa church sa Pinas. Sana po masagot ang tanong ko. Salamat.?

  97. Good day po,

    Im filipina and my bf is singaporian,were planning to get married here philippines. Still confused kung san kukunin ng partner kong singaporian ung Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry? Dito ba singapore embassy sa pinas o sa singapore po mismo? And need ba ipa authenticate and saan po? Maraming salamat po.

  98. Hi, where do we get a marriage license if I am from Cagayan and my fiance is from Cavite and we are getting married here in metro manila?

    1. @Nadz

      As mentioned in the article, “both parties must go to the local civil registrar of the city, town or municipality where either one of them habitually resides.” Kung saan po kayo nakatira or nagsstay for the past 6 months or so, doon po kayo magaapply. Kapag nakuha nyo na yung marriage license, pwede na po kayong magpakasal sa Manila or anywhere in the Philippines.

      1. Hi po. Sana mabasa nyu pa to kahit 2019 na hehe.
        Same case po kami ni @Nadz about marriage.
        Pero Japanese yung fiance ko, taga leyte ako at balak namin magpakasal sa cebu dahil dun gus2 namin. Pwede kaya yun?

      2. Following the instructions in the article, you can apply for a marriage license in Leyte and then get married in Cebu or anywhere in the Philippines.

  99. Good evening,
    I have a question regarding my marriage 4 years ago which lasted only 5 months, i was married in islam 2 years after i was married in civil. That was year 2014, However me and may ex husband got separated 5 months after we were married in a mass wedding provided by our municipal mayor. People say that the papers given a few weeks after the mass wedding is only a requirement to register our marriage to LCR, and i dont even remember my parents signing the papers during the mass wedding, and i tore the paper given to us which i forgot what paper was that. Now that we’re 3 years separated, me and my new partner planned to get married cause i didn’t expect that our wedding with my ex husband was registered, i got a cenomar last week and shows that i was registered, i really have a hard time understanding how the mass wedding goes, please help me understand.

    1. @Cesia Baliola

      If you were able to participate in a mass wedding, that means your union is legitimate since no one won’t be allowed to get married in the Philippines without a marriage license. You need to go through a legal process before you can be remarried again.

  100. Hello I’m Melanie n my fiancee is egyptian we want to know about the the marriage license.we need to know if need to get blood test for foreign

  101. Hello good day,
    Gusto po namin muna sa ngaun ng aking fiancé na Syrian na magpakasal sa west para po magkasama kami ng legal sa Dubai. Kasi po mahirap magpakasal sa Dubai lalo na he is a Muslim and I am Christian!, we’re staying now here in Dubai. Ano po ba ang requirements for him and for me as well, hoping your reply and waiting po ako… Salamat po God bless!…

  102. Hi good day….
    I just want to ask about Certificate of Capacity to Marry. My partner is a Belarusian,we are planning to get married in the Philippines soon. I would like to ask if where we get that certificate?…We don’t have any idea about this.
    I am hoping for your reply.
    Thank you very much.

  103. Great info here! Just want to ask (for anybody who has any idea about this) the 10-day waiting period, is it possible to get the license on the 10th day? (for example we sent our application on 5th and get the license on 15th) We’re a bit in a rush because my fiance can only be here in Phils for 14days and we want to get married immediately since he won’t be able to visit next time within the 120-days expiration period of the license. Any idea will be greatly appreciated.

  104. Hi, I would like to ask about how one can get the Legal Capacity of Marriage. My fiance is from Ireland and he is now with me here in the Philippines. Should he need to go back to Ireland to request for the said document or he could just go to their Embassy and request it from there? Thank you.

    1. Hi,
      My name is Aisha and I have a muslim civil wedding in the Court of Abu Dhabi in2003 and i forgot to registered it in the embassy of the philippines in Abu Dhabi. Now my question is our marriage contract is attested by foreign affairs and i’ve using it for my kids passport. Just recently for the kids 3rd time passport renewal they refuse to renew the passport because they said it needs to be from PSA then authenticated by DFA. This the 3rd renewal why did not inform as the first time we make a passport. Now my daughter cannot have a passport. So can you tell me what do i need to do because where here in KSA. And by the way my husband is jordanian and i am a filipina. Thank you

  105. Hi me and my husband are planning to renew our vows in cebu and have church wedding i understand he need to get legal capacity paper… my question is do i have to get one also since i am a US citizen too? And can we get the legal capacity here in the US ? Your help is appreciated thank you. My name is Edna.

  106. Hi, what if in my cenomar, the requester’s name is misspelled but the information of the person being certified is correct. ” issued upon the request of ____________, the blank portion is the name misspelled, will the cenomar still valid?

    Thank you.

  107. Hi, I need some help po. Im from Philippines, but currently living here in Uae. And my fiance is a US Citizen, were planning to go back home January for Our Civil Wedding… what are the requirements po for him? TIA

  108. Hi. Im a filipino currently working here in japan and my fiance is in the US. We are planning to get married in the philippines right at the time we get in there. Is that be possible?

  109. Clarification ONLY

    On acquiring “Affidavit In Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage,” ….

    According to the US Embassy in the Philippines, this document “affirms that there are no legal impediments to the foreigner marrying a Filipino.” I feel that this requirement applies to a US citizen and a Filipino citizen. Do we have to worry about this requirement if both of us are US citizen intending to wed in the Philippines? Note that my husband was a US citizen by birth while I got my citizenship through naturalization.

    Please clarify if we have to worry about the said requirement. I appreciate if you can email your response at [email protected]

    Thank you so much.

  110. My embassy doesn’t issue “legal capacity” certificates, but I have only a certificate issued in my country from the Registry, certifying my single status. Can I use it in the Philippines?

  111. Hello,
    I am a UK citizen, in the process of retiring to the philippines (Midsayap) and to marry my Filipina lady, on the document planning to marry the affirmation document states I must give a place and date of marriage.
    Does this mean I do that before going to the embassy in Manila? Your answer/help would be appreciated

  112. Can i ask how many months or days is the validity of the latest psa certificate and cenomar before the filling off civil marriage

  113. you’ve gotten an important blog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog?

  114. hello,
    Me and my boyfriend are planning to get married soon,i am in canada and he is in the phils..Now the problem is i can only take two weeks off from
    my work,how will i apply for
    the marriage licence when both parties have to be there? is it
    possible if i do my part online? coz i wanna make use of my two weeks to have
    it done and not waiting for the
    license to come out..
    I hope u can help me with this. Thank you

    1. @Janeth

      Personal appearance of both parties is required and non-negotiable. Since it takes almost two weeks for the license to be issued, I suggest you contact the LCR office directly to see if they’re willing to compromise.

  115. Hi. I would like to ask if we can apply for a marriage license not in the Local Civil Registry where we reside.

    1. @Jai

      The Family Code of the Philippines states that the marrying parties should get the license from the city or municipality where either one of them habitually resides. Once you the license is issued to you, you can marry anywhere in the Philippines within 120 days.

      1. Hi, so meaning for example, his from Manila, and I’m from Cebu, He gets his in Manila, I get mine in Cebu. Once both of us have the marriage license, we can get married in the Philippines (we want in Cebu).

      2. “To apply for the license, both parties must go to the local civil registrar of the city, town, or municipality where either one of them habitually resides.”

        Emphasis on “either one of them.” So kung sa Cebu naman kayo magpapakasal, doon na lang rin kayo magapply pareho. Or if both of you currently reside in Manila, then Manila it is. Whatever is convenient for you.

    2. Hi, was wondering if after applying for marriage licence do we have to stay in the Philippines for the 2 weeks(10 days waiting .or can we travel outside the country in this time? And if the marriage licence is available after 10 days..can we decide to collect it after 11 or 12 days..?

      1. It’s just a waiting period so you can go wherever you want. And yes, you can claim the license even if it’s beyond 10 days.

      2. Hello. Ask ko lang po, ilang copies po ang need fill-up na forms? I got 2 application for marriage license po and its stated on the upper right portion na it should be accomplished in quadruplicate. Meaning po ba, 4 original forms ang need or pwede po na ipa-photocopy po? Thank you so much.

  116. Hi i would like to ask if there is an age limit for the groom if he is a foreigner. My fiancee is 18 and He is a Nigerian citizen and currently studying here in Iloilo

    1. Hi just wanna ask if we can get the marriage cert even if we’re not yet married or we can only get the marriage cert after we got married?
      Thank you so much

  117. Good day, I just want to ask how to get married in the Philippines,i am a pilipina and my fiancee is German,what are the requirements needed for the Civil wedding? And how long it takes to process the paper? Thank you.

    1. Hi I’m a British citizen and I’m engaged & due to marry my philipino fiance next feb how do I go about getting a marriage licence what embassy do I go to

    2. Hi! Im Jessa from cebu and we are planning to have a civil wedding. My boyfriend is a spanish 40 year old and im 24 can we still get married even without the approval of the consulate of spanish in manila? Coz it really takes time before we got the appointment schedules for them to interview us. I just wanted to know if we can get married without it in civil? All our papers is only valid 3months only. That’s our problem. I hope you can help us.

  118. If i ll going to marry a danish man by civil rights, the next step need to register in danish embassy? This is automatic registered in embassy.

  119. “Some local registrars–specifically in Makati City, Quezon City, and Davao City–refuse to accept this document as an alternative to the Philippine document. ”

    Would you know cities in Metro Manila which accept the affidavit of legal capacity to marry?

    1. @ Clarity

      Thanks for pointing that out. I have updated the article by removing that obsolete information. All Philippine agencies now accept the Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry from US citizens since it’s the ONLY document that the US Embassy can provide.

  120. Is there any chance any chance that I can get the affidavit/affirmation of marital status in the Philippine Embassy in the UK rather than waiting 10 days when i get in the Philippines?

    1. Hi Grace,

      In the old system, British citizens could get a UK-issued Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) and then present it to the Embassy here for authentication.

      Now the Embassy only process the Affidavit/Affirmation of Marital Status which you can only obtain by booking an appointment online and appearing in person to sign the document in the presence of a Consular Officer here in Manila.

      You will then be issued the affirmation along with a letter addressed to the local civil registrar explaining the change from CNI to Affidavit.

      The whole procedure only takes 2 hours give or take. You also need to personally appear when applying for the marriage license so booking a flight to Manila is inevitable in your case.

      After application, you can go back to UK and have your partner here in the Philippines claim the license after 10 days, after which you can get married anywhere in the Philippines within 4 months from the date of issue.

      1. As a naturalised Brit, am I not able to use CENOMAR as I was a Filipino cotizen before?

    2. We were married in the US, but are having a hard time with our marriage certificate. What would we need to do to remarry here

      1. Did you file a Report of Marriage at the Philippine Consulate after getting married in the US? If you already did, then you don’t need to apply for a marriage license here and present the said Report of Marriage instead.

    3. We are civilly married in us and both a us residence and wants to have a church wedding in the philippines. What are the requirements?

  121. Great info.. Only thing I can’t fine is the breakdown of the total costs involved .. Thank you

    1. Hi Tom. We’re coming up with a detailed article about church wedding in the Philippines soon. It includes a breakdown of costs and other wedding planning ideas.

      1. My question is how do we apply PSA MARRIAGE certificate ?
        Me and fiancee get married in ISLAM way in the Philippines koronadal city . Last month june 20 .2019, and our marriage still not registered in any municipality offices
        Me from india

        Plz help us to do right way

  122. Hi. Regarding on getting marriage license which is required the appearance of both parties, because we are based abroad and we plan to get married on April 2019, he is in Europe and me in Middle East. is there any chance that we can process the document thru online? since we cannot go home 2 or 3 months before the wedding because our employer only give us the month of our wedding.

    For the Canonical Interview is it done by the Parish Priest or the priest who will do the ceremony? because we choose the church but the priest is not the parish priest.

    For pre-cana seminar it says that local parish abroad is accepted, is it ok we have pre cana seminar in separate country?

    Your response will help us and this will be very much appreciated.

    Thank you.

    1. Hi Nerie,

      I’ll try to answer all your questions as succinct as possible:

      1. Although I understand your situation, personal appearance of both parties is really required in applying for a marriage license in the Philippines. Another possible option would be to have a civil union in the Philippine Embassy/Consulate who will take care of the marriage license and other paper works. Then, you can use the PSA marriage certificate for the “revalida” church wedding in the Philippines. If you do this, you no longer need to apply for a marriage license by the time you get here. Just submit your marriage certificate/contract and you’ll be ready for a church wedding.

      2. Canonical interviews are usually done by the parish priest or the assistant parish priest (in case the former isn’t available). It shouldn’t necessarily be the one who will solemnize the ceremony. If the priest who will do the ceremony isn’t a resident of the parish where you’ll marry, the interviewer will simply ask for that priest’s celebret (a letter from the Catholic Bishop or religious superior testifying that the bearer is indeed a priest) and license to solemnize a wedding.

      3. As far I know, pre-cana seminar should be attended by the couple. Better ask your local parish in that country if they allow that kind of setup.


      1. Hello,
        I don’t know how to make a comment because I have a question too, I just made a reply. My husband and I had a civil wedding last 2009 and we have a marriage certificate already from NSO. We are planning to have a church wedding next year. Do we still need the marriage license? And the pre cana and canonical interview is it done personally? We both reside here in Arizona.
        Thank you so much.

      2. An impending marriage between a 60 year old and a 50 year old a precana does not make any sense at all . In fact it is saying we are not responsible adults . Which is quite insulting

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Recent Content