My current passport has my maiden name. Can I set an appointment to have it changed to my married/husband’s name even if my passport isn’t expired yet?

Yes, you can.

First of all, changing your name in your Philippine passport to your married name is optional according to Philippine law.

However, having two names can be a bit confusing not to mention annoying especially if you use your married name in all your IDs except the passport.

Fortunately, you can easily update your name even if your passport is new or not expired yet. 

Since you already have a passport, you’ll be applying for Philippine passport renewal and go through the same procedures as other regular renewal applicants. 

All renewal applicants will be treated the same regardless of purpose so the same fees will apply.

We’ve already written in great detail the steps you need to go through to renew your passport.

Aside from the basic passport renewal requirements, applicants who want to have their maiden names changed should also bring the following additional documents:

  • Marriage contract or certificate printed in Security Paper (SECPA) and issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) OR Certified True Copy (CTC) of the marriage certificate issued by the local civil registrar.
  • If entries are blurred or not readable, submit Transcribed Marriage Contract from the local civil registrar.
  • If married abroad, Report of Marriage duly authenticated by PSA.
  • If married in the Philippines with a foreigner, Original and photocopy of Commission of Filipino Overseas (CFO) Guidance and Counseling Certificate of Attendance.

Once you’ve changed your passport to your married name, there’s no need to worry about your visas containing your maiden name. Whenever you’re traveling abroad, all you need to do is present the original copy of your PSA-authenticated marriage certificate.

Go back to the main page: How to Renew Philippine Passport: An Ultimate Guide