Home  »  How Can I Apply for a Philippine Passport if the Minor Is an Illegitimate Child?

How Can I Apply for a Philippine Passport if the Minor Is an Illegitimate Child?

An illegitimate child is someone who is born “out of wedlock,” meaning the parents aren’t married to each other.

Except for the requirements, the process of applying for a Philippine passport as an illegitimate child doesn’t differ much from the regular application.

Philippine passport requirements for minors who are illegitimate children vary depending on whether they’re in custody of a parent or a legal guardian.

Related: An Ultimate Guide to an Illegitimate Child’s Rights, Birth Registration, and Legitimization

Minors Who Are an Illegitimate Child and Who Are in Custody of the Mother

If you’re a single mother, you may apply for a Philippine passport for your minor illegitimate child by securing an appointment online or proceeding to the designated courtesy lane, whichever is applicable.

Don’t forget the following requirements:

  • Personal appearance of both the minor applicant and the mother (or an authorized adult companion, in case you’re not available).
  • Valid passport or valid government-issued ID of the mother or authorized adult companion.
  • PSA Birth Certificate of the minor child. To show to the DFA that you’re a single mother with parental authority over your child, the birth certificate must indicate your single status by putting “Not Applicable” (NA) on the space provided for the item asking for the date and place of marriage. Meanwhile, if the minor child is illegitimate but acknowledged by the father, the birth certificate showing the child using the father’s surname must also have an Affidavit of Acknowledgment /Admission of Paternity and Consent to use the said surname.
  • If a minor is not accompanied by the mother during the application, a Special Power of Attorney executed by the mother must be provided. The SPA should provide the name of the minor’s adult companion, designating him/her to that role. If executed abroad, the SPA must be authenticated by the Philippine Embassy/Consulate.
  • If the minor child is not traveling with the mother, the applicant must submit DSWD clearance and Affidavit of Support and Consent executed by the mother. The affidavit must be authenticated by the Philippine Embassy/Consulate if executed abroad.

Minors Who Are Illegitimate Children With No Parents

An illegitimate child with no parents means the mother is dead while the father is either absent or unknown.

In this case, an adult guardian may take the place of the parent/s.

If you’re a guardian assuming the responsibility of the minor child’s parents, please take note of the requirements below when applying for a Philippine passport:

  • Personal appearance of both the adult guardian and the minor applicant.
  • PSA Birth Certificate.
  • Valid passport or valid government-issued ID of the adult guardian.
  • DSWD clearance.
  • Affidavit of Guardianship.

Tips and Warnings

  • If the illegitimate child is traveling abroad with the biological father, they are required to obtain a travel clearance from DSWD because the parental authority is vested only on the mother of the child
  • If the illegitimate child is traveling with the mother, there is no need to secure a travel clearance (Article 176 of the Family Code of the Philippines)

Go back to the main article: How to Get Philippine Passport for Minors: An Ultimate Guide

Copyright Notice

All materials contained on this site are protected by the Republic of the Philippines copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published, or broadcast without the prior written permission of filipiknow.net or in the case of third party materials, the owner of that content. You may not alter or remove any trademark, copyright, or other notice from copies of the content. Be warned that we have already reported and helped terminate several websites and YouTube channels for blatantly stealing our content. If you wish to use filipiknow.net content for commercial purposes, such as for content syndication, etc., please contact us at [email protected].

FILIPIKNOW® is a registered trademark of Edustone Web Content Publishing with Registration No. 4/2019/00504365. All content is © copyrighted.