If you’re not qualified for online OEC processing and exemption, you’ll be required to use POEA’s online appointment system.
People who are not qualified for online OEC processing include:
- OFWs who changed their employer
- OFWs who changed their job site
- OFWs without existing BM Online or POPS-BaM records
- OFWs without a valid work visa/permit
In the online appointment system, you choose your preferred date, time, and location to do your regular OEC processing with the help of a government worker at a POEA branch or the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO).
Table of Contents
- Watch Video: How To Set an OEC Appointment Online
- How To Set an OEC Appointment Through BM Online
How To Set an OEC Appointment Through POPS-BaM
- 1. Login with your e-Registration account at the POEA Online Services website.
- 2. Make sure all of your details are updated on your My Profile page
- 3. Go back to the dashboard and upload your professional profile photo and passport photo according to the guidelines
- 4. Click on the ‘Balik Manggagawa’ link on your dashboard
- 5. On the next page, enter your flight date
- 6. On the contract details page, enter the details of your arrangement with your foreign employer
- 7. Choose the nearest location for your appointment on the drop-down menu
- 8. Select your appointment date and time
- 9. Review the details of your appointment
- OEC Appointment Requirements: What To Prepare for Your Scheduled Appointment
- Tips and Warnings
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. I tried to set an appointment but there are no more slots left. Can I walk in at POEA/POLO instead?
- 2. I’m a direct-hire OFW. How can I get an OEC?
- 3. My BM Online doesn’t seem to work anymore. How do I set an appointment?
- 4. I am qualified for an OEC exemption but the POPS-BaM website is asking me to schedule an appointment. What should I do?
- 5. There is a mistake in my BM Online or POPS-BaM profile but I can’t change it on the website. What should I do?
- 6. I forgot my email and password for BM Online/POPS-BaM. What should I do?
Watch Video: How To Set an OEC Appointment Online
How To Set an OEC Appointment Through BM Online
UPDATE: As of June 30, 20211, if you don’t already have an existing BM online account then you have to use the POPS-BaM system to schedule your appointment instead. Proceed to the next section of this page for a guide on how to schedule an appointment through POPS-BaM.
Here’s how to set an appointment through BM Online:
- Access the BM Online system.
- Under “Already Registered,” enter your email address and password. Click the Login button.
- At the bottom of the OEC Number Verification pop-up, click the link for the appointment setting.
- Upload your latest photo.
- Fill out the My Profile page with the required information.
- Click the Acquire OEC or Exemption button.
- Enter your expected flight schedule (in MM/DD/YYYY format). Click the Submit button.
- You’ll be taken to the Select Locations page. Click the drop-down menus to choose your preferred POEA or POLO location and branch for OEC processing. Click the Next button.
- A calendar will be displayed where you can view available slots in your chosen location. Click on your preferred date and time.
- A Schedule Details pop-up will show. If you’re okay with the schedule, click the Set Appointment button.
- Click “My Transactions” on the left side. Under the Appointments tab, you’ll see your confirmed appointment schedule.
- Click the Print Info Sheet button. This will take you to your Online Appointment Information Sheet.
- Click the Print Appointment button to print your appointment form.
- At the bottom of your printed appointment form, put your printed name and signature.
How To Set an OEC Appointment Through POPS-BaM
POEA Online Processing System for Balik Manggagawa or POPS-BaM is POEA’s new system that will be replacing BM Online. It has the same functionalities but has been rebuilt from the ground up so that it has much fewer bugs and errors.
If you have an existing BM Online account, you can transfer it to POPS-BaM using this guide. To set an OEC appointment through POPS-BaM, follow these steps:
1. Login with your e-Registration account at the POEA Online Services website.
If you don’t have an existing account yet, you can follow this guide on how to register.
2. Make sure all of your details are updated on your My Profile page
This includes your personal details, passport details, and beneficiary details.
3. Go back to the dashboard and upload your professional profile photo and passport photo according to the guidelines
4. Click on the ‘Balik Manggagawa’ link on your dashboard
If your details are complete, you should get four green thumbs-ups (see image below).
Click on the Next button to proceed.
5. On the next page, enter your flight date
Don’t forget to read the reminders before clicking on the Next button.
6. On the contract details page, enter the details of your arrangement with your foreign employer
People who need to set an online appointment are typically OFWs who have
- No existing POEA records;
- Changed employers; or
- Changed job sites.
Choose the transaction type that fits best with your situation.
After providing the details of your contract, click on the Submit button.
7. Choose the nearest location for your appointment on the drop-down menu
Make sure to read the reminders before proceeding to the next section.
8. Select your appointment date and time
You can change the date by clicking on the arrows. Note that there are no appointment dates on weekends.
Make sure to choose a date and time that you are sure you can attend. To proceed, click on the Select button that is on the same row as your chosen date and time.
9. Review the details of your appointment
If you find any incorrect information, you can click Cancel Appointment and repeat the steps again.
If everything is correct, you should click on Print Appointment to print a copy of your appointment details which you will bring on the day itself.
OEC Appointment Requirements: What To Prepare for Your Scheduled Appointment
When you visit your chosen POLO or POEA office on your appointment schedule, simply proceed to the OFW Green lanes and submit the following OEC requirements:
- Printed BM Online or POPS-BaM appointment sheet
- Original and photocopy of passport valid for six months from the departure date
- Original and photocopy of valid work visa, work permit, alien resident certificate, or any equivalent document
- Original and photocopy of valid employment contract verified/authenticated by the POLO/Philippine Embassy/Consulate
- Clear copy of your employer’s business registration certificate with the following info: business name, permit number, business address, telephone number, and email
- If the employer has no business registration certificate, a copy of the employer’s National Identification Card plus the following info: employer name, employer national ID number, employer address, telephone number, and email
- A sworn statement providing an explanation of how you were hired by your foreign employer
- For OFWs returning to the same employer: Proof that you’re returning to the same employer (e.g., valid company ID, latest payslip, or current certificate of employment)
- For OFWs with existing POEA records and returning to the same employer but to a different country: Letter from the employer confirming the transfer of jobsite
- For OFWs who are not yet registered with the POEA or who changed their employer on-site: Sworn statement/Affidavit explaining how you’re hired by your current employer (Check sample affidavit here.)
Tips and Warnings
- Schedule your OEC appointment less than 60 days before your departure date. An OEC is only valid for 60 days and can only be used once. If you get it too early, your OEC may expire before your flight.
- Make sure your profile photo is updated. It may have been a while since you came home to the Philippines. You should update your profile photo to prevent any inconveniences during your OEC appointment day.
- You don’t have to set an appointment if you’re qualified to get an online OEC. Qualified OFWs are those who: a) have a valid work visa/permit b) will be returning to the same employer and job site and c) have existing POEA records. If you meet all these qualification requirements, the system will give you a printable version of your online OEC instead of asking you to set up an appointment.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I tried to set an appointment but there are no more slots left. Can I walk in at POEA/POLO instead?
Yes, provided that you have a valid reason. For example, you can explain that you only have 10 days of vacation and are scheduled to leave soon. You can support this by showing your visa and other requirements listed above.
Take note, however, that priority shall be given to those who have secured an appointment online.
As a last resort, you can get the OEC directly at the airport. However, they can only issue an OEC if you have a valid reason that may have prevented you from going through regular processing. For instance, you can get an OEC at the airport immediately before your departure if you can prove that you’re on emergency leave and you already have a confirmed flight booking.
2. I’m a direct-hire OFW. How can I get an OEC?
The process of applying for an OEC for direct-hire OFWs is completely different from that of OFWs hired through recruitment agencies. Click here to learn more about the updated process of obtaining an OEC for direct hires.
3. My BM Online doesn’t seem to work anymore. How do I set an appointment?
BM Online will slowly be replaced by POPS-BaM (POEA Online Processing System for Balik Manggagawa) starting June 30, 2021. You can transfer your BM Online records to POPS-BaM using this guide. Once you are done transferring your records to POPS-BaM, you can follow the guide on this page to set up an appointment.
4. I am qualified for an OEC exemption but the POPS-BaM website is asking me to schedule an appointment. What should I do?
You are qualified for an OEC exemption if you are a balik-manggagawa who:
- will be returning to the same employer and job site;
- have a valid work visa/permit; and
- have existing POEA records.
If you are certain that you meet all three qualification requirements, then it’s quite possible that your POEA records from BM Online have not yet been updated in POPS-BaM. The system will do that automatically for you within 24 hours as long as your records from BM Online and POPS-BaM match.
If after 24 hours your account has still not been updated, you can manually match your old BM online records using this guide.
5. There is a mistake in my BM Online or POPS-BaM profile but I can’t change it on the website. What should I do?
Take note that you cannot change your:
- First Name
- Middle Name
- Last Name
- Date of Birth
If you need to change any of the above details, then you need to set an appointment with POEA. However, if you only need to change other details than the ones listed above you only need to follow this guide for BM Online and this guide for POPS-BaM.
Go back to the main article: An OFW’s Complete Guide to Getting an OEC through BM Online or POPS-BaM
- Philippine Overseas Employment Certificate (POEA). (2021). POEA Advisory No. 77 (Launch of the New BM Online System & Procedures to Transfer Current BM Accounts to the New System). Mandaluyong City.