Last Updated on 09/30/2021 by FilipiKnow
Paying your monthly SSS contributions on time and regularly is imperative if you want to have access to SSS benefits and loans when you need them.
With a variety of payment channels available to accept your payments, you no longer have any excuse to skip paying your contributions. But in order for you to make a payment, and for each payment to be posted in real-time, you need to obtain a payment reference number or PRN first.
This guide will teach you easy ways to get a PRN online so you can make your monthly SSS contributions on time and without any hassle.
Table of Contents
- What is SSS PRN (Payment Reference Number)?
- Can I pay SSS contrbution without PRN?
- Does PRN expire?
- How to Get SSS PRN Through My.SSS.
- How to Get SSS PRN Through SSS Mobile App.
- How to Get SSS PRN Through Text.
- How to Get SSS PRN Through Email Request.
- How to Get SSS PRN By Calling the SSS Hotline.
- How to Get SSS PRN By Going to SSS Office.
- Watch Official SSS Video.
What is SSS PRN (Payment Reference Number)?
The SSS PRN is a unique system-generated number used by each SSS member or employer when paying a contribution or loan. The PRN corresponds to a billing statement of the individual member or employer.
There’s no permanent PRN as there’s a new PRN generated before each time you make payment. Take note that the PRN is different from the Common Reference Number (CRN) and SSS number. The CRN can be found on your UMID card while the SSS number is your permanent proof of membership to SSS.
So why does SSS now require PRN? The simple answer is SSS wants to ensure the immediate and correct posting of contribution or loan payments to each member’s account. It’s not too long ago when SSS contribution payments used to be verified and posted manually. Under the Real-Time Processing of Contributions (RTPC) program1, however, contributions paid using a PRN are instantly posted to an SSS member’s contribution record.
Immediate posting of contribution payments allows members to avail themselves of SSS benefits and loans without delay.
Beginning July 2021, SSS has also made it mandatory for all members and employers to use Payment Reference Number (PRN) when paying SSS loans2. This is part of the Real-Time Processing of Loans (RTPL) program first introduced by SSS in November 2021. As a result, non-PRN loan payments are no longer accepted either online or through the Electronic Data Interchange (EDINet) facility.
Can I pay SSS contrbution without PRN?
No. As per SSS Circular No. 2017-0103, the PRN is required for the payment and instant posting of your monthly contribution. A payment without PRN is refused at SSS-accredited payment channels.
Through SSS Circular No. 2017-010, the electronic Collection System (e-CS) was implemented. This system has facilitated the real-time posting of SSS contribution payments. In connection with this, the same circular has made it mandatory for all employers and individual members not only to use Payment Reference Number (PRN) when paying contributions but also to register and create their own My.SSS accounts at the official SSS website.
Individual members and employers with their own My.SSS accounts can instantly generate PRN online upon the confirmation of the electronic Contributions Collection List/e-CL (for employers) or Statement of Account/SOA (for individual members).
Meanwhile, some members may still be allowed to go to the nearest SSS office to pay their contributions without PRN, provided they’ve never received or been issued any PRN before4.
Does PRN expire?
Yes. The PRN can be used only once because it expires five days after the due date. Therefore, you must generate or request a new PRN each time you pay a contribution.
If you’ve generated a PRN for this month but failed to pay it, you’ll have to get a new PRN for your next payment.
How to Get SSS PRN Through My.SSS.
Using the My.SSS portal is the best, easiest, and most convenient way for employers to get a PRN, as it enables them to review and modify their electronic Collection List (e-CL) online. Likewise, individual paying members may access their My.SSS accounts to generate PRN but also to perform other important transactions like applying for a loan or checking their contributions.
But first, you need to register your SSS account online. Once you have your My.SSS account, follow these steps to generate your PRN:
1. Getting PRN as an Employer.
Step 1: Visit the My.SSS portal and log in to your Employer (ER) account.
Step 2: Enter your user ID and password. Click the Submit button to log in.
In case you’ve forgotten your user ID, password, or both, follow this guide to reset your login credentials. On the other hand, if your account has been locked due to repeated failed login attempts, read the instructions here to unlock and recover your account.
Step 3: Click the Payment Reference Number (PRN) link on the menu.
Step 4: Create your electronic Contribution Collection List (e-CL), if you’re a first-time user. Otherwise, review and edit your existing e-CL then click the “Generate PRN” button.
Since the process is pretty straightforward for employers who already have an existing Contribution Collection List, we’re going to dedicate this section to first-time users who need a helping hand more in creating their Contribution Collection List for the very first time.
There are three options to create your electronic Contribution Collection List (e-CL). Simply choose your preferred option then follow their corresponding instructions below.
Option 1: Select Records from the SSS List.
- Start preparing your list by adding records of your employees and their corresponding monthly income.
- Next, review the list you created for any inaccuracy or inconsistency. Click Submit.
- Then, click on the Prepare Collection List button to create the Contribution Statement.
- Click on the Contribution List Details under the Contribution Collection List Summary.
- Create a Partial Collection List by clicking on Prepare Partial List under the Employee Details.
- Wait for the Contribution Collection List to be prepared. Once it’s ready, you can choose to download it, send it to your email, or both. The Contributions Statement you’ll receive is final and due for payment.
Option 2: Download the SSS List and edit it offline before uploading it.
- Download and install the AMS CCL Editor.
- Log in to the AMS CCL Editor using your Employer Number.
- Click Add Record and fill out employee information.
- Click the tools for Create Full AMS List or Create Partial AMS List to generate your Contribution Collection List (CCL). Save the file to your computer.
- Edit the CCL offline.
- Upload the CCL. Then, click on Prepare Collection List.
- Receive the generated Contribution Collection List by choosing to download it, sending it to your email address, or both.
Option 3: Upload Employee Prepared List according to SSS file format requirement.
- Create a file that follows the required SSS file format structure.
- Upload your Employee List.
- Click on the Prepare Collection List to automatically prepare Contribution Statement.
- Choose the way you want to receive the generated CCL. You can opt to download it, send it to your email address, or both.
2. Getting PRN as a Self-Employed, Voluntary, or OFW Member.
Step 1: Visit the My.SSS portal and select Member.
Step 2: Under the Member Login tab, log in to your online account by entering your user ID and password then clicking the Submit button. In case you’ve lost or forgotten your SSS user ID, password, or both, click this link to learn how to reset your account.
Step 3: Hover your cursor over the Payment Reference Number (PRN) – Contributions on the menu. Click Generate PRN. Finally, click the Generate PRN button.
Step 4: Provide all the requested information.
- Choose your membership type (Voluntary/OFW).
- Choose the applicable period (month/s and year when you’re paying the contribution for).
- Choose your monthly contribution from the Select Premium drop-down menu. The total amount (based on your chosen Applicable Period x Monthly Contribution) will be automatically displayed after picking an amount.
Once you’re done, click the Submit Request button.
Step 5: Obtain your Payment Reference Number (PRN).
Review your contribution payment details. Click the OK button to confirm that the information is correct.
You’ll see your generated PRN along with the due date and other payment details.
Click the Print Statement of Account (SOA) button to download and print your PRN.
How to Get SSS PRN Through SSS Mobile App.
Getting a PRN on the go is easy using the SSS Mobile App. Just download the app on your smartphone (It’s compatible with the latest versions of Android and iOS) and sign in using your My.SSS account log-in credentials.
If you don’t have an SSS online account yet, you can register on the app itself.
Here’s how to generate a PRN through the SSS mobile app:
- Download the SSS Mobile App on your device.
- Enter your My.SSS account user ID and password. If you’re an employer, tick Employer Login. Tap the Sign In button to log in.
- On the home screen, tap Generate PRN.
- Click Create on the upper right corner of the screen.
- Choose your membership type (Voluntary/OFW). If you’re switching to a new membership type, the change will be automatically applied on your account only after
- Choose the applicable period (month/s and year when you’re paying the contribution for).
- Choose the contribution amount.
- Tap the Submit button.
- Your Statement of Account (SOA) containing your PRN and contribution details will appear on the screen. You may download it as a PDF file for printing or take a screenshot of it.
How to Get SSS PRN Through Text.
For those without Internet access, the TextSSS facility allows getting a PRN through SMS.
A service fee is charged for every text message sent: Php 2.50 for Globe and Smart subscribers and Php 2 for Sun Cellular subscribers.
To register for the TextSSS service, text SSS REG <10-digit SSS number><Birthdate in MM/DD/YYYY format> to 2600.
Example: SSS REG 3418736855 10/08/1985
You’ll then receive a reply confirming your successful registration along with a four-digit PIN. Keep a copy of your PIN—you’ll use it each time you transact through TextSSS.
Once you receive your PIN, get your PRN by texting SSS PRN <10-digit SSS number><PIN><Birthdate in MM/DD/YYYY format> to 2600.
Example: SSS PRN 3418736855 1234 10/08/1985
Afterward, you’ll receive a reply with your PRN.
How to Get SSS PRN Through Email Request.
Email request may not be the quickest way to obtain a PRN, but you can still count on it especially if you’re someone who struggles to use the internet.
To get SSS PRN via this method, simply write an email message with a subject line “Request for Payment Reference Number (PRN) Generation”.
Don’t forget to provide your personal information like name, SSS number, membership type, payment coverage, and contribution amount. You will also need to attach an image or scanned copy of your UMID or in the absence of UMID, at least 2 government-issued IDs bearing your photo and signature.
To help you save time, here’s a template you can reuse for your SSS PRN email request:
I’m writing to request for the latest Payment Reference Number (PRN) that will allow me to pay my monthly contribution. Here are the details for your quick reference:
I have also attached a copy of my valid ID for verification purposes. Thank you and looking forward to your response.
Input your answers to the requested information above. Once you’re all set, send your email request to [email protected]
Again, email request is not the best way to get PRN if you’re in a hurry to pay your SSS contribution. Depending on their current backlog, it may take days before the PRN Helpline responds to your request. If you want a quicker way to get a PRN without using internet, please refer to the guide below on obtaining PRN by calling the SSS hotline.
How to Get SSS PRN By Calling the SSS Hotline.
You may also contact the PRN Helpline to get a PRN through phone call.
To get in touch with SSS for your PRN request, you can use the following hotline numbers:
- 81455 (if calling through a landline phone)
- 1455 (if calling through a mobile phone)
- 1-800-10-2255777 (toll-free number)
If you’re an OFW member calling from abroad, you can also try the following international toll-free call services:
|Hong Kong, Singapore||001-800-0225-5777|
|Malaysia, Taiwan, Italy, and UK||00-800-0225-5777|
How to Get SSS PRN By Going to SSS Office.
If none of the PRN generation methods above has worked, your last resort is to visit the nearest SSS branch.
Approach the tellering counter (if the branch has one) to request a PRN. Present your UMID card or SSS ID. If you don’t have one, give the teller your birthdate.
Or go directly to the eCenter where a computer is set up for members to get their PRN before paying the contribution. A personnel will assist you to quickly generate a PRN from the machine.
Watch Official SSS Video.
- Adriano, L. (2018). SSS members urged to secure PRN for real-time posting of payments. Retrieved 29 September 2021, from https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1033429
- Leyco, C. (2021). SSS begins mandatory use of PRN for loan payments. Retrieved 29 September 2021, from https://mb.com.ph/2021/07/01/sss-begins-mandatory-use-of-prn-for-loan-payments/
- Social Security System (SSS). (2017). SSS Circular No. 2017-010. Quezon City.
- SSS urges members to update contact details. (2019). Retrieved 29 September 2021, from https://www.sss.gov.ph/sss/appmanager/viewArticle.jsp?page=NR2019_001