Last Updated on 09/12/2020 by FilipiKnow
DTI business registration may be the easiest part of the four-part business registration process. This is where you name your business however you want. To help with your DTI business registration, we provided a step-by-step guide for you to follow.
Table of Contents
- Why do I need to register my business name with DTI?
- Who can apply for DTI business registration?
- What are the DTI business registration requirements?
- How much is the DTI business name registration?
- What are the guidelines for choosing a business name?
- How to Apply for DTI Business Registration: A Step-by-Step Guide.
- 1. Visit the DTI website.
- 2. Accomplish the ‘Owner’s Information’ form and click ‘Next’.
- 3. Click ‘Proceed’ after the pop-up.
- 4. Identify the business scope.
- 5. Select a ‘Dominant Name’.
- 6. Select a Business Descriptor.
- 7. Check Name Availability.
- 8. Confirm Details and you will be assigned a reference code.
- 9. Fill-out Business Details.
- 10. Review all details and make sure that there are no typographical errors or false information.
- 11. Confirm Details.
- 12. Pay the registration and transaction fees.
- 13. Receive and Print the DTI Certificate.
- 14. Download the certificates at ‘Transaction Inquiry’.
- Frequently Asked Questions.
- 1. After printing the certificate, do I need to go to the DTI office for authentication?
- 2. I’m a freelancer/online seller, do I still need to register my business?
- 3. How can I check if a company name is available in DTI?
- 4. Aside from the DTI business registration, what else should I secure to start my business correctly?
Why do I need to register my business name with DTI?
The main reason why business owners register with the DTI is because they want to use a business name other than their true given name.
The added benefit of registering with the DTI is that no other business can use your business name.
Who can apply for DTI business registration?
Generally, any person who is at least 18 years old can apply for a DTI business permit.
Foreign nationals who wish to engage in business here in the Philippines must present/upload a Certificate of Authority to Engage in Business in the Philippines during the application.
What are the DTI business registration requirements?
For online applications, there are no requirements to be presented. But for walk-in applications, you need to present a valid government ID.
How much is the DTI business name registration?
The registration fee depends on the territorial scope you picked.
The territorial scope determines where you could establish a branch and/or a sales office. So if you picked ‘Barangay’, you can only establish an office in your barangay while for ‘National’, you could create a branch or a sales office anywhere in the Philippines.
The following list shows the corresponding fees for each territorial scope:
- Barangay: Php 230
- City/Municipality: Php 530
- Regional: Php 1,030
- National: Php 2,030
*All amounts are inclusive of the 30-peso documentary stamp tax
What are the guidelines for choosing a business name?
The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) requires that the business name:
- must describe the nature of your business;
- consists of any alphabets, numbers, and/or punctuation marks in English or Filipino;
- not a term or word or group of words that connote activities or norms that are unlawful, immoral, scandalous or contrary to propriety (e.g. Boobs Massage & Spa);
- not a name, words, terms or expressions used to designate or distinguish, or suggestive of quality, of any class of goods, articles, merchandise, products or services;
- not those that are registered as trade names, trademarks, or business names by any government agency authorized to register names or trademarks;
- not a name that is inimical to the security of the State;
- not composed purely of generic word or words (e.g. The Drugstore, Health Care Clinic);
- not a name which by law or regulation is restricted or cannot be appropriated (e.g. Red Cross, Red Crescent, ISIS);
- not officially used by the government in its non-proprietary functions (e.g. NBI Private Investigation Services, PNP Security Agency);
- not a name or abbreviation of any nation, intergovernmental or international organization unless authorized by a competent authority of that nation, inter-government, and international organization;
- not ordered or declared by administrative agencies/bodies or regular courts not to be registered;
- not a name of other persons; and
- not deceptive, misleading, or misrepresenting the nature of the business (“GOLD Construction Services” where the nature of business is recruitment).
How to Apply for DTI Business Registration: A Step-by-Step Guide.
To register your business name1 with DTI, you must follow these steps:
1. Visit the DTI website.
2. Accomplish the ‘Owner’s Information’ form and click ‘Next’.
3. Click ‘Proceed’ after the pop-up.
Note: Applications filed by non-Philippine nationals, recognized refugees, and stateless persons shall be processed only upon submission of the applicable supporting documentary requirements at any DTI Office and payment of applicable fees.
4. Identify the business scope.
The business scope determines where your business can operate.
Choosing ‘National’ allows you to establish branches, stores, and offices anywhere in the Philippines. But if you are home-based (e.g. online sellers and freelancers) and do not plan to set up physical stores soon, it is advisable to only pick ‘Barangay’ since it is cheaper.
5. Select a ‘Dominant Name’.
Dominant Name is the name you’d like for your business (e.g. Aling Nena’s).
6. Select a Business Descriptor.
This allows immediate recognition of what your business is doing (e.g. Online Shop).
7. Check Name Availability.
This allows the applicant to determine if the business name is viable.
Note: Sometimes it is buggy and shows “Result not yet processed. Please click the check name availability button.” If this happens, just click the validate button again.
8. Confirm Details and you will be assigned a reference code.
9. Fill-out Business Details.
Assets are all properties owned by the business while capitalization refers to the amount of cash you are investing in the company.
10. Review all details and make sure that there are no typographical errors or false information.
11. Confirm Details.
12. Pay the registration and transaction fees.
This must be done within 7 days of application, otherwise, the reservation of the business name shall be revoked.
It is recommended that you pay using either GCash or PayMaya since the payment is made in real-time and will be immediately processed by the DTI.
13. Receive and Print the DTI Certificate.
You will receive the certificates and permits once the payment has been processed. You must print the documents in colored ink.
14. Download the certificates at ‘Transaction Inquiry’.
You may download your certificate by typing in your Reference Code found in Transaction Inquiry.
A verification code will be sent to the email address you provided in your registration. Use the verification code to access the Transaction Summary. From there, you can access your certificate in Downloadable Contents.
Frequently Asked Questions.
1. After printing the certificate, do I need to go to the DTI office for authentication?
No. Upon receipt of the certificates and permits, you may immediately use the same for other business transactions e.g. BIR Registration and Business Permit Registration.
2. I’m a freelancer/online seller, do I still need to register my business?
Yes. As long as you are regularly earning from a source that is not under an employer-employee relationship, you should register your business.
However, if you’re professional providing services to your clients, you may skip this step and proceed to the BIR Registration and subsequently secure a business permit.
3. How can I check if a company name is available in DTI?
You can check the availability of a business name here.
Note that you should also include the descriptor in the search box (i.e. Captain Barbell Online Shop).
4. Aside from the DTI business registration, what else should I secure to start my business correctly?
Please refer to this article for a more in-depth business registration process.
Here is a simple guide on how to type the squared symbol on your device so that you won't waste your time searching on Google.
In this article, we will teach you the step-by-step on how to insert a Philippine peso sign (₱), may it be on a laptop, desktop, or smartphone.