An authorization letter is a document that permits the representative to accomplish tasks on behalf of a person. Such tasks that usually need an authorization letter in the absence of the first party include, but not limited to, financial transactions and legal appointments.
Not good with words and writing a letter? Here are free authorization letter templates for you to download and use!
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written for general informational purposes only and is not legal advice or a substitute for legal counsel. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. The use of the information contained herein does not create an attorney-client relationship between the author and the user/reader.
Table of Contents
- Authorization Letter vs. Special Power of Attorney: What’s the Difference?
- Parts of an Authorization Letter
- How To Make an Authorization Letter in the Philippines: 3 Easy Steps
23 Free Downloadable and Editable Authorization Letter Templates
- 1. Sample Authorization Letter for Claiming NBI Clearance
- 2. Sample Authorization Letter for Claiming or Receiving PSA/NSO Documents (e.g., Birth Certificate, CENOMAR, etc.)
- 3. Sample Authorization Letter for Authenticating Documents in DFA
- 4. Sample Authorization Letter for Visa Application Through a Representative
- 5. Sample Authorization Letter for Claiming the Passport with or without an Approved Visa
- 6. Sample Authorization Letter for BIR/Taxpayer Registration Through a Representative
- 7. Sample Authorization Letter for Claiming of Renewed PRC License
- 8. Sample Authorization Letter for PhilHealth ID Application Through a Representative
- 9. Sample Authorization Letter for Claiming of Philippine Passport at DFA or Philippine Embassy
- 10. Sample Authorization Letter for Renewal and Claiming of Driver’s License of OFWs Through a Representative in the Philippines
- 11. Sample Authorization Letter for Buying of Medicine and Other Goods of a Senior Citizen (with Discount) Through a Representative
- 12. Sample Authorization Letter for Allowing Someone to Use One’s Motorcycle
- 13. Sample Authorization Letter for Claiming Money on Someone’s Behalf
- 14. Sample Authorization Letter for Withdrawing Money/Bank Withdrawal Through a Representative
- 15. Sample Authorization Letter for School Enrolment
- 16. Sample Authorization Letter for Request/Claiming of the Transcript of Records (TOR)
- 17. Sample Authorization Letter for Claiming or Receiving a Package
- 18. Sample Authorization Letter for Claiming of TIN ID
- 19. Sample Authorization Letter for Claiming of Voter’s ID
- 20. Sample Authorization Letter for Pag-IBIG Transactions
- 21. Sample Authorization Letter for Claiming of 13th-Month Pay
- 22. Sample Authorization Letter for Medical Treatment Authorization
- 23. Sample Authorization Letter for Allowing Someone to Accompany Your Minor Child on a Trip
- Tips and Warnings
- Frequently Asked Questions
Authorization Letter vs. Special Power of Attorney: What’s the Difference?
The main difference between an authorization letter and the Special Power of Attorney is that the latter is a formal document that must obey the state laws whereas an authorization letter is comparatively informal and it’s not required by the state laws to acknowledge it.
Parts of an Authorization Letter
- Sender’s/First-party’s Information – includes full name, address, and zip code of the sender.
- Date – the date when the letter was written.
- Recipient’s Information – includes name, address, and zip code of the recipient.
- Salutation – the sender’s greetings to the recipient (e.g. Dear Mr./Mrs) or the generic “To Whom It May Concern” when you don’t know exactly the recipient’s name/gender.
- Body – the message of the sender that states the purpose of the letter. The sender should also include the date/s of the transaction, the name of the authorized representative, his/her relationship with the said representative, the name of the valid IDs to be attached, and requirements needed (e.g. original receipts).
- Closing greeting – closing words like Sincerely, Best regards, etc.
- Signature over the printed name of the first-party
How To Make an Authorization Letter in the Philippines: 3 Easy Steps
1. Identify your purpose of needing an Authorization Letter
Different templates are used depending on the purpose of the letter. Therefore, you should first identify the purpose of the letter to know which template is to be used.
2. Determine the different parties involved
- First Party: Original rights holder/owner of the money, document, etc.;
- Second Party: Person/institution/organization with whom the first party is transacting with;
- Representative: The person carrying out the task.
3. Create the authorization letter
- Option 1: Follow the format shown above and supply the needed information.
- Option 2: Download and edit any of the templates in the next section below.
23 Free Downloadable and Editable Authorization Letter Templates
A letter permitting the authorized representative to claim your NBI Clearance on your behalf. You will need to provide an authorization letter if you find yourself in one of the following scenarios:
- You’re applying or renewing your NBI clearance from abroad and you need someone in the Philippines to claim it for you.
- You were asked to return after a few days because your application got a “HIT” but will be unable to do so because of work commitments.
Whatever the case, you will definitely need a template so you can make an authorization letter for claiming NBI clearance with ease.
2. Sample Authorization Letter for Claiming or Receiving PSA/NSO Documents (e.g., Birth Certificate, CENOMAR, etc.)
A letter stating that you are authorizing your representative to claim your PSA/NSO documents (e.g., birth certificate, CENOMAR, marriage certificate, and death certificate) if you are unable to do so.
When you don’t need an authorization letter.
You don’t need an authorization letter when requesting for NSO/PSA birth certificate and other documents.
For Filipinos abroad, the best way to get a PSA birth certificate/other documents is online. Anyone can request a copy of your document at the PSASerbilis website and have it delivered to your doorsteps wherever you are in the world.
If you’re in the Philippines, online application is likewise the best option although you can also request for your birth certificate via a walk-in application.
For those who are requesting the PSA document of someone else, indicate in the ‘Requesting Party’ field how you are related to the document owner whom you are requesting a birth certificate for (e.g. spouse, parent, child, grandchild, or grandparent).
Receiving the birth certificate, on the other hand, requires stricter measures.
When you need an authorization letter.
The PSA documents like birth certificate, whether ordered online or processed through a walk-in application, can only be issued/delivered to or received by any of the following:
- The applicant/document owner.
- An authorized representative.
- The applicant’s/document owner’s spouse, parent, grandparent, child, or grandchild.
If you’re the applicant/document owner and you won’t be around to personally claim or receive your PSA document, your representative must present the following:
- Signed authorization letter from the document owner, his/her spouse, or any of the direct descendants (which include the parent, grandparent, child, or grandchild) indicated on the ‘Requesting Party’ field.
- Original valid ID of the document owner, spouse, or any of the direct descendants indicated on the ‘Requesting Party’ field.
- Original valid ID of the authorized representative.
Note that if the document owner is already dead or is currently living abroad, you can ask assistance from PSA through their 24/7 hotline at (02) 737-1111.
A letter permitting the representative to undergo the process of authenticating your document in DFA. He/ she will sign the documents that need a signature and make decisions on your behalf.
A written statement that verifies that you have permitted the representative to claim your passport on your behalf whether it includes an approved visa or not.
A written statement proving that the bearer of the letter is authorized to claim your renewed PRC license on your behalf.
A letter stating that the bearer can process your application for a PhilHealth ID with full consent on your end since you are unable to do so.
A letter stating that you are authorizing your representative to claim your new/renewed Philippine passport from the Department of Foreign Affairs or Philippine Embassy (if you are located in a different country) on your behalf.
10. Sample Authorization Letter for Renewal and Claiming of Driver’s License of OFWs Through a Representative in the Philippines
A written statement proving that the bearer of the letter can process and claim your renewed Driver’s License on your behalf since you’re an OFW who currently resides outside of the Philippines.
11. Sample Authorization Letter for Buying of Medicine and Other Goods of a Senior Citizen (with Discount) Through a Representative
A letter stating that you, a senior citizen, has authorized a representative to buy the medicine or other goods on your behalf and avail the senior citizen discount by attaching your senior citizen ID and OSCA booklet as proof. This is recommended for senior citizens who are too weak or are bedridden, preventing them to buy the medicines/food/other goods themselves.
A letter stating that you are aware of the matter and authorize the bearer of the letter to use your motorcycle for day/s or more.
A written statement proving that you are giving full authority to the representative to claim the amount of money addressed to you on your behalf, whether it’s from a person or a company/organization.
A letter stating that you are giving authority to your family/representative to withdraw money from your account through an ATM or over-the-counter withdrawal.
A letter stating that you are giving authority to the representative to enroll and sign the documents from the school on your behalf.
A letter permitting the representative to request or claim your transcript of records from your school/university on your behalf.
A written statement proving that the representative can claim your package during your absence.
A letter permitting the bearer of the letter to claim your Tax Identification Number ID while you are unavailable. Depending on your RDO, they may require either an authorization letter or a Special Power of Attorney so it’s best to inquire beforehand.
A letter stating that you are permitting your representative to receive your Voter’s ID from the Commission on Elections.
A letter stating that you have given your consent and approval to the bearer of the letter to act on your behalf while processing different Pag-IBIG transactions.
A written statement that proves that you have given your representative authority to claim your 13-month pay from the company you work for.
Medical treatments need approval from a guardian if you are a minor or are not in the right state of mind. This letter states that you are giving your approval to the doctor or hospital to provide the care and medical procedures needed by your relatives/others.
A letter showing that you, the parent or guardian of the child, is giving authority to another guardian to take care of your minor child during a trip that you are unable to join.
Tips and Warnings
- Make sure that the person you are giving authority to do the task needed is trustworthy.
- If you’re the representative, do not forge a signature for the authorization letter if the person you are representing is not present at the moment. This is a punishable crime. If the person you’re representing is not available to personally sign the letter, ask for his/her e-signature instead and attach it to the letter.
- Ensure that the template to be used is appropriate for its purpose to avoid confusion on all parties involved.
- Double-check your grammar and spelling before submitting the letter.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I need to notarize my authorization letter? If yes, how much will it cost?
An authorization letter doesn’t need to be notarized to be deemed as valid but if you do want to have it notarized to avoid any suspicions of forgery, it is a good idea. Notarization is priced around ₱300 but this depends on the notary public itself so it may vary.
2. How long is the validity of an authorization letter?
An authorization letter is valid only on the date/s mentioned in the document.
3. How many copies of an authorization letter do I need?
As many as you need. It depends on how many parties are involved and how many per party needs a copy of it.