Authorization Letter for NSO/PSA Birth Certificate: When Do You Need It?

Last Updated on

In times when we’re not available to personally request for or receive our PSA birth certificate, we always rely on an authorized representative.

This representative is “authorized” by virtue of an authorization letter the applicants are required to provide.

But do we always need this? What are the steps in the application process that require an “authorized” representative?


When you don’t need an authorization letter.

You don’t need an authorization letter when requesting for NSO or PSA birth certificate.

In other words, anyone can request a copy of your birth certificate from PSA. This is ideal for those who are abroad or unavailable to apply.

For Filipinos abroad, the best way to get a PSA birth certificate is through online. Anyone can request a copy of your birth certificate at the PSASerbilis website and have it delivered to your doorsteps wherever you are in the world.

If you’re in the Philippines, online application is likewise the best option although anyone can also request for your birth certificate via a walk-in application without the need for an authorization letter.

For those who are requesting the birth certificate of someone else, indicate in the ‘Requesting Party’ field how you are related to the document owner whom you are requesting a birth certificate for (e.g. spouse, parent, child, grandchild, or grandparent).

In summary, anyone can request the birth certificate of another person in the Philippines without the need for an authorization letter.

Receiving the birth certificate, on the other hand, requires stricter measures.


When you need an authorization letter.

The PSA birth certificate, whether ordered online or processed through a walk-in application, can only be issued/delivered to or received by any one of the following people:

  • The applicant/document owner.
  • An authorized representative.
  • The applicant’s/document owner’s spouse, parent, grandparent, child, or grandchild.

If you’re the applicant/document owner and you won’t be around to personally claim or receive your birth certificate, your representative must present the following:

  • Signed authorization letter from the document owner, his/her spouse, or any of the direct descendants (which include the parent, grandparent, child, or grandchild) indicated on the ‘Requesting Party’ field. Here’s a sample template of an authorization letter for claiming or receiving NSO/PSA birth certificate.
  • Original valid ID of the document owner, spouse, or any of the direct descendants indicated on the ‘Requesting Party’ field.
  • Original valid ID of the authorized representative.

Note that if the document owner is already dead or is currently living abroad, you can ask assistance from PSA through their 24/7 hotline at (02) 737-1111.

Go back to the main article: How to Get Birth Certificate in the Philippines: An Ultimate Guide