What is the difference between parental consent and parental advice? Can I use them interchangeably?

The main difference is in the age of the contracting parties to a marriage. It cannot be used interchangeably. If you are below 21 years old but not younger than 18 years old, you need to get parental consent. If you are between the ages of 21 and 25, you need to get parental advice. Both are required in applying for a marriage license.

Another difference is that failure to get parental consent renders the marriage voidable, while failure to get parental advice does not affect the validity of your marriage. Hence, if you fail to get parental consent prior to your marriage, your parents or guardian can file a petition for annulment under Art. 45 (1) of the Family Code. But if after reaching the age of 21, you have freely cohabited with the other party and both lived together as husband and wife, the defect is cured, and your parents can no longer file the annulment of marriage.

Go back to the main article: How to Get Married in the Philippines (Civil and Church Wedding Guide)