Learn how to renew NBI clearance in 2020 through two quick and easy ways.
Learn how to renew NBI clearance in 2020 through two quick and easy ways.
Last Updated on
If you have an expired NBI clearance, you’re probably wondering if you’re supposed to go through the same process all over again.
The hassles of making an appointment online and going to the NBI clearance center just to renew a government-issued document is too much, especially for someone with a very busy schedule.
Fortunately, through the NBI Clearance Quick Renewal, you can now renew your clearance online and get it delivered to your doorsteps in a matter of days.
In this guide, we’ll introduce you to this wonderful feature and provide answers to all the queries related to NBI clearance renewal.
First-time applicant? Read this guide instead: How to Get NBI Clearance Online in the Philippines
Table of Contents
- NBI Clearance Renewal Requirements.
- How to Renew NBI Clearance Online: 2 Ways.
- NBI Clearance Quick Renewal.
- Regular NBI Clearance Renewal: 5 Steps.
- Tips and Warnings.
- Frequently Asked Questions.
- 1. I lost my NBI Clearance. Can I still renew it even if I don’t know my old NBI number?
- 2. I got a “hit” on my NBI clearance. What should I do?
- 3. How can I renew my NBI clearance if I’m abroad?
- 4. How can I verify if my NBI clearance is fake or valid?
- 5. How long does it take to renew NBI clearance?
- 6. I have a pending case. Can I still renew my NBI clearance?
- 7. A blotter report was filed against me. Will it cause any problem if I renew my NBI clearance?
- 8. I heard that the NBI Clearance Center observes a certain dress code. What should I wear on the day of my appointment?
- 9. I’m a foreigner. How can I renew my NBI clearance in the Philippines?
- 10. I wasn’t able to go to the NBI on my scheduled appointment date. What should I do?
- 11. When choosing the mode of payment, I get an error message that says “OTP field is required.” What does it mean and what should I do?
- 12. Can I reschedule my NBI clearance appointment?
- 13. I can’t make it to the original NBI clearance branch I selected during the online appointment. Can I proceed to any branch near me to process my application?
NBI Clearance Renewal Requirements.
1. Copy of old/expired NBI clearance.
Whether you’re renewing your NBI clearance via the Quick Renewal System or through the standard procedure, you need the NBI ID number from your old/expired NBI clearance in order for the transaction to push through.
2. One (1) valid government-issued ID.
If you’re renewing your NBI clearance via Quick Renewal System, you need a valid ID for verification purposes when receiving from the courier.
As for those renewing through the standard/regular process, you only need to provide one valid ID when securing an online appointment. However, it’s best to bring 2 valid IDs on the day of your appointment in case the NBI personnel requires additional verification.
Here’s a list of acceptable valid IDs for NBI clearance application:
- UMID (SSS and GSIS). Related: SSS Online Registration Guide: 4 Easy Steps
- Philhealth ID
- Voter’s ID or Certificate of Registration
- PRC License
- Driver’s License
- Pag-IBIG ID (not the Loyalty Card)
- NSO-/PSA-Authenticated Birth Certificate
- Postal ID
- Police Clearance issued by the police station with jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence
- Certification from the Local Civil Registrar
- Certification from Malacanang in connection with indigenous groups, tribal membership, foundling
- Solo Parent ID
- Seaman’s Book
- Senior Citizen ID
- MARINA ID
- Security License ID (for security guards)
Take note that company IDs, student IDs, barangay clearances, and IDs that weren’t issued by the government are NOT accepted.
Also, the IDs you’ll present will be checked for their validity and authenticity. Therefore, ensure yours are issued by the government, original and not photocopied, and with legible texts as well as your recent, recognizable photo.
How to Renew NBI Clearance Online: 2 Ways.
If you’re in a hurry and don’t have any personal information that needs updating, you can choose the NBI Clearance Quick Renewal. This method allows you to renew your clearance online and receive it after a few days.
No online appointment is necessary so you no longer need to visit an NBI Clearance Center to claim your new NBI clearance.
Alternatively, you can do the standard way of NBI clearance renewal which requires an online appointment and personal appearance at the NBI Clearance office for your biometrics. This option is ideal for those who are unable to use the Quick Renewal due to system maintenance or those who need to update/change/correct/edit their personal information (even if it only involves one letter or character).
Let’s discuss these two methods in great detail:
NBI Clearance Quick Renewal.
Update: The NBI Clearance Quick Renewal is temporarily unavailable due to system maintenance. If you’re unable to use this service, it means the maintenance is still ongoing and you are encouraged to renew your NBI clearance via the standard procedure instead.
- Access the NBI Clearance Online Services website.
- Go straight to the “NBI Clearance Quick Renewal” located on the lower portion of the homepage and under the NBI Clearance eServices (see screenshot above).
- Click “NBI Clearance Quick Renewal.”
- Input your NBI ID Number to the pop-up box that will appear. You can find the NBI ID Number on your old clearance. It contains alphanumeric characters and located on the upper corner of the document.
- Click “Verify” to proceed to the next step.
- Fill out the Quick Renewal Delivery form.
- Ensure that the address given is complete and accurate to avoid delays in delivery.
- Click “Next” to choose a payment option.
- Choose your preferred mode of payment. As of this writing, there are six payment methods to choose from: Bank Over Counter, Online Bank, Mobile Payment, Bayad Center, MultiPay, and ECPay.
- Write down or take a screenshot of the reference number that will appear on your screen. You will need this reference number when making the payment at your selected bank/payment outlet. If you choose a method that allows you to pay the fee online, simply follow the instructions on the screen to finalize the payment.
- Pay the NBI clearance renewal fee at selected payment channel. Since you’re availing of express delivery, the total cost is a tad higher than when you renew your NBI clearance the standard way. Apart from the renewal fee of Php 330, a service fee of Php 25 will also be charged from you for the use of the e-payment service.
- Wait for your new NBI clearance to be delivered. Expect for the NBI clearance to be delivered to your doorsteps by the courier approximately 5 to 10 working days from the time of your payment. Delivery time depends on the applicant’s location so transit time varies.
If you want to follow up or in case you’ve failed to receive the document within that time frame, contact NBI ICTD Manila through the telephone number (02) 5228788 (local extension: 5523) or email address at [email protected]
Regular NBI Clearance Renewal: 5 Steps.
Time needed: 45 minutes.
This section provides the traditional way of renewing your NBI clearance online.
Unlike Quick Renewal, this option requires the applicant to register online, secure an appointment with the NBI, and personally claim the new clearance at the NBI clearance center.
It’s ideal for those whose previous/old/expired NBI clearance has a piece of information they want to correct/change/update like name, civil status (from single to married), and other personal details.
- Go to the NBI Clearance Online Services website.
Sign in using the email address and password you used during the first time you registered. Ideally, this should work. However, based on my experience and the comments from past applicants, NBI won’t accept the old email address and password for some reason. If this is the case, simply create a new account and log in using your new email and password.
Once logged in, your account information will show up. Review the applicant information and ensure that the application type has been updated to “RENEW.”
If you need to make changes, simply click “Edit Information” on the upper right corner of the page. For example, if you’re newly married, you can change your civil status from “Single” to “Married” and change your surname to that of your husband’s.
Once you’ve updated your profile, click “Apply for Clearance” to proceed with the renewal.
- Secure online appointment for NBI clearance renewal.
Select the “Apply for Clearance” button at the top of the screen (for mobile phone users) or upper right corner of the page (for desktop or laptop users).
A pop-up window will appear asking you to provide the valid ID you’ll present on the day of the appointment. Choose one from the list of valid government-issued IDs (see “NBI Clearance Renewal Requirements” above). Aside from a government ID, renewal applicants are also required to bring a copy of their previous NBI clearance on the day of the appointment.
Enter the name of the ID on the designated box and click “I Agree” to continue.
Select your preferred appointment venue, date, and time. A drop-down box containing a list of NBI branches that process applications and renewals are provided. When choosing the application date and time, take note that blue indicates available slots.
- Pay the NBI clearance renewal fee.
After setting an appointment, proceed to the lower right corner of the same page and select your preferred payment channel.
Current options are the following: Bank Over The Counter, Online Bank, Bayad Center Outlets, Bayad Center Mobile, ECPay, and 7-Eleven.
A pop-up window will appear to summarize the total amount you’ll be paying. As of this writing, the cost of NBI clearance for both new applications and renewal is Php 130. An additional Php 25 will be charged for the use of the e-payment service.
Click “Proceed to Payment.”
Get the reference number and pay the fee using your card (for online banking) or proceed to the bank or outlet where you’ll make the payment over the counter.
To check whether or not the payment has been successful, go back to the NBI clearance website and select “Transactions” from the main menu.
If you’ve already made the payment, click the “Confirm Payment” button to print your application form.
- Have your photo and biometrics taken.
Proceed to your chosen NBI Clearance Renewal Center on the day of the appointment. Bring your application form and at least 2 valid IDs.
Tell the security guard or any NBI personnel that your NBI clearance is for renewal.
Since you’ve already filled out your application form online and paid the fees, you can proceed to the designated “biometrics” section to have your photo and fingerprints taken.
- Claim your new NBI clearance.
If everything goes well and you have no hits, your NBI clearance will be printed and issued to you within a few minutes.
Tips and Warnings.
1. You can renew your NBI clearance even if it’s not expired yet.
According to the NBI Clearance Help Desk, there’s no need to wait for your NBI clearance to expire before you can renew it. As long as you have a copy of your NBI clearance and it’s about to expire a few weeks or months from now, you can have it renewed through the NBI Clearance Online Services website.
2. No need to provide a photo when renewing via NBI Clearance Quick Renewal.
The reason why it’s “quick” is because it automatically retrieves your information–including your photo–from the NBI clearance database.
If you’re unable to access the NBI Clearance Quick Renewal, it means you’re either not qualified to use this feature (e.g. your NBI clearance was issued prior to 2014) or the system is undergoing maintenance.
3. The online renewal system is only applicable to NBI clearances issued from 2014 to the present.
If your NBI clearance was released prior to 2014, it is considered invalid and you must go through the same process intended for new applicants.