Last Updated on 02/19/2021 by FilipiKnow
If you have an expired NBI clearance, you’re probably wondering if you’re supposed to go through the same process all over again.
The hassles of making an appointment online and going to the NBI clearance center just to renew a government-issued document is too much, especially for someone with a very busy schedule.
Fortunately, through the NBI Clearance Quick Renewal, you can now renew your clearance online and get it delivered to your doorsteps in a matter of days.
In this guide, we’ll introduce you to this wonderful feature and provide answers to all the queries related to NBI clearance renewal.
First-time applicant? Read this guide instead: How to Get NBI Clearance Online in the Philippines
Table of Contents
- NBI Clearance Renewal Requirements.
- What are the ways to renew NBI Clearance in the Philippines?
- How much does it cost to renew NBI clearance?
- How to Renew NBI Clearance via Online Quick Renewal.
- How to Renew NBI Clearance Through The Regular Procedure: 11 Steps.
- Tips and Warnings.
- Frequently Asked Questions.
- 1. I lost my NBI Clearance. Can I still renew it even if I don’t know my old NBI number?
- 2. I got a “hit” on my NBI clearance. What should I do?
- 3. How can I renew my NBI clearance if I’m abroad?
- 4. How can I verify if my NBI clearance is fake or valid?
- 5. How long does it take to renew NBI clearance?
- 6. I have a pending case. Can I still renew my NBI clearance?
- 7. A blotter report was filed against me. Will it cause any problem if I renew my NBI clearance?
- 8. I heard that the NBI Clearance Center observes a certain dress code. What should I wear on the day of my appointment?
- 9. I’m a foreigner. How can I renew my NBI clearance in the Philippines?
- 10. I wasn’t able to go to the NBI on my scheduled appointment date. What should I do?
- 11. When choosing the mode of payment, I get an error message that says “OTP field is required.” What does it mean and what should I do?
- 12. Can I reschedule my NBI clearance appointment?
- 13. I can’t make it to the original NBI clearance branch I selected during the online appointment. Can I proceed to any branch near me to process my application?
NBI Clearance Renewal Requirements.
1. Copy of old/expired NBI clearance.
Whether you’re renewing your NBI clearance via the Quick Renewal System or through the standard procedure, you need the NBI ID number from your old/expired NBI clearance in order for the transaction to push through.
2. One (1) valid government-issued ID.
If you’re renewing your NBI clearance via Quick Renewal System, you need a valid ID for verification purposes when receiving from the courier.
As for those renewing through the standard/regular process, you only need to provide one valid ID when securing an online appointment. However, it’s best to bring 2 valid IDs on the day of your appointment in case the NBI personnel requires additional verification.
Here’s a list of acceptable valid IDs for NBI clearance application:
- UMID (SSS and GSIS)
- Philhealth ID
- Voter’s ID or Certificate of Registration
- BIR/TIN ID
- PRC License
- Driver’s License
- Pag-IBIG ID (not the Loyalty Card)
- NSO-/PSA-Authenticated Birth Certificate
- Postal ID
- Police Clearance issued by the police station with jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence
- Certification from the Local Civil Registrar
- Certification from Malacanang in connection with indigenous groups, tribal membership, foundling
- Solo Parent ID
- Seaman’s Book and SIRV
- Senior Citizen ID
- MARINA ID
- Security License ID (for security guards)
Take note that company IDs, student IDs, barangay clearances, and IDs that weren’t issued by the government are NOT accepted.
Also, the IDs you’ll present will be checked for their validity and authenticity. Therefore, ensure yours are issued by the government, original and not photocopied, and with legible texts as well as your recent, recognizable photo.
What are the ways to renew NBI Clearance in the Philippines?
If you’re in a hurry and don’t have any personal information that needs updating, you can choose the NBI Clearance Quick Renewal. This method allows you to renew your clearance online and receive it after a few days.
No online appointment is necessary so you no longer need to visit an NBI Clearance Center to claim your new NBI clearance.
Alternatively, you can do the standard way of NBI clearance renewal which requires an online appointment and personal appearance at the NBI Clearance office for your biometrics. This option is ideal for those who are unable to use the Quick Renewal due to system maintenance or those who need to update/change/correct/edit their personal information (even if it only involves one letter or character).
Let’s discuss these two methods in great detail.
How much does it cost to renew NBI clearance?
As of this writing, the cost of NBI clearance for both new applications and renewal is Php 130. An additional Php 25 will be charged for the use of the e-payment service.
How to Renew NBI Clearance via Online Quick Renewal.
Update: The NBI Clearance Quick Renewal is now back online as of December 2020. However, as of this writing, it’s only available for Metro Manila residents. We’ll update this article again once the online renewal becomes available nationwide.
- Access the NBI Clearance Online Services website.
- Click the yellow box that says “NBI Clearance Online Renewal” (see the screenshot above).
- Input your old NBI ID number, mobile number, complete name, and birthdate in the pop-up box that will appear. Take note that only expired NBI clearances issued on October 16, 2016 onwards are qualified for the online renewal.
- Click “Verify” to proceed to the next step.
- Fill out the Quick Renewal Delivery form. Ensure that the address given is complete and accurate to avoid delays in delivery.
- Click “Next” to choose a payment option.
- Choose your preferred mode of payment. As of this writing, there are eight payment methods to choose from: Bank Over Counter, Online Bank, Mobile Payment, Bayad Center, MultiPay, ECPay, Visa/Mastercard, and GCash.
- Write down or take a screenshot of the reference number that will appear on your screen. You will need this reference number when making the payment at your selected bank/payment outlet. If you choose a method that allows you to pay the fee online, simply follow the instructions on the screen to finalize the payment.
- Pay the NBI clearance renewal fee at the selected payment channel. As of this writing, NBI clearance costs Php 170 if it’s obtained through this process. There’s also an additional fee for the private courier who will deliver the clearance to your doorstep.
- Wait for your new NBI clearance to be delivered. Expect for the NBI clearance to be delivered to your doorsteps by the courier approximately 5 to 10 working days from the time of your payment. Delivery time depends on the applicant’s location.
If you want to follow up or in case you’ve failed to receive the document within that time frame, contact NBI through the following (don’t forget to provide your delivery reference number):
- Email address: [email protected]
- Alternative email address: [email protected]
- ICTD Manila’s telephone number (02) 5228788 (local extension: 5523) or email address at [email protected]
How to Renew NBI Clearance Through The Regular Procedure: 11 Steps.
Time needed: 45 minutes.
This section provides the traditional way of renewing your NBI clearance online.
Unlike Quick Renewal, this option requires the applicant to register online, secure an appointment with the NBI, and personally claim the new clearance at the NBI clearance center.
It’s ideal for those whose previous/old/expired NBI clearance has a piece of information they want to correct/change/update like name, civil status (from single to married), and other personal details.
- Go to the NBI Clearance Online Services website.
Read the Data Privacy Content in either in English or Tagalog. Click “I Agree”.
Read the additional reminders and then click “Close”.
- Register to create an account.
Try to sign in using the old email address and password you used during the first time you registered. Ideally, this should work. If it does, jump to step 5.
However, based on my experience and the comments from past applicants, NBI won’t accept the old email address and password for some reason.
If this is the case, simply create a new account.
To do this, mark the checkbox that corresponds to “YES” next to the question “DO YOU HAVE AN NBI CLEARANCE ISSUED FROM 2014 TO PRESENT?” (Apparently, only NBI clearances issued from 2014 to present can be renewed. If your NBI clearance was issued prior to 2014, please check the other box and proceed to the regular application).
Enter your name, mobile number, birth date, and the NBI ID number printed on your old/expired NBI clearance. Click Proceed.
Now, if you’ve lost your old NBI clearance or you no longer have a copy of it, you obviously need to mark the checkbox that corresponds to “NO” next to the question “DO YOU HAVE AN NBI CLEARANCE ISSUED FROM 2014 TO PRESENT?”
Then, fill out the registration form like you would the first time you applied and then click “SIGN UP”.
- Enter the One-time Password sent by NBI.
The OTP is an additional layer of security that will protect your data whenever transacting with NBI online. All new registrants will receive it either through SMS or email message.
Enter the numbers and then click “Submit”.
- Log in to your account.
Sign in using your registered email address and password.
- Edit or fill out the Applicant Information form.
Once logged in, your account information will show up. Review the applicant information and ensure that the application type has been updated to “RENEW” (if it isn’t showing “RENEW”, it only means your NBI clearance isn’t expired yet but you can still proceed with the renewal process).
If you need to make changes, simply click “Edit Information” on the upper right corner of the page. For example, if you’re newly married, you can change your civil status from “Single” to “Married” and change your surname to that of your husband’s.
If you registered without your old NBI clearance number, the partially filled out Application Information form will be displayed upon signing in. If this is the case, simply complete the form, making sure you only use letters and spaces when typing your answers.
When you’re done, click “Save Information” at the bottom of the page.
- Select “Apply for Clearance”.
Once you’ve updated your profile, click “Apply for Clearance” to proceed with the renewal.
- Provide the details of the valid ID you’ll bring on the day of your appointment for confirmation.
A smaller window will appear asking you to provide the valid ID you’ll present on the day of the appointment. Choose one from the list of valid government-issued IDs (see “NBI Clearance Renewal Requirements” above).
Aside from a government ID, renewal applicants are also required to bring a copy of their previous NBI clearance on the day of the appointment. Otherwise, just bring another valid ID.
Enter the name of the ID and the ID number on the designated boxes and click “I Agree” to continue.
- Choose your preferred appointment venue and schedule.
Select your preferred appointment venue, date, and time. A drop-down box containing a list of NBI branches that process applications and renewals are provided. When choosing the application date and time, take note that blue indicates available slots.
- Pay the NBI clearance renewal fee.
After setting an appointment, proceed to the lower right corner of the same page and select your preferred payment channel.
Current options are the following: Bank Over The Counter, Online Bank, Bayad Center Outlets, Bayad Center Mobile, ECPay, 7-Eleven, Visa/Mastercard, and GCash.
Upon clicking your chosen payment method, a small window will appear containing instructions on how to make the payment. Click “Proceed”.
Get the reference number and pay the fee using your card (for online banking) or proceed to the bank or outlet where you’ll make the payment over the counter.
To check whether or not the payment has been successful, go back to the NBI clearance website and select “Transactions” from the main menu.
If you’ve already made the payment, click the “Confirm Payment” button to print your application form.
- Proceed to your chosen NBI Clearance Renewal Center to have your photo and biometrics taken.
Bring your application form/reference number and at least 2 valid IDs.
Tell the security guard or any NBI personnel that your NBI clearance is for renewal.
Since you’ve already filled out your application form online and paid the fees, you can proceed to the designated “biometrics” section to have your photo and fingerprints taken.
- Claim your new NBI clearance.
If everything goes well and you have no hits, your NBI clearance will be printed and issued to you within a few minutes.
Tips and Warnings.
1. You can renew your NBI clearance even if it’s not expired yet.
According to the NBI Clearance Help Desk, there’s no need to wait for your NBI clearance to expire before you can renew it. As long as you have a copy of your NBI clearance and it’s about to expire a few weeks or months from now, you can have it renewed through the NBI Clearance Online Services website.
2. No need to provide a photo when renewing via NBI Clearance Quick Renewal.
The reason why it’s “quick” is because it automatically retrieves your information–including your photo–from the NBI clearance database.
If you’re unable to access the NBI Clearance Quick Renewal, it means you’re either not qualified to use this feature (e.g. your NBI clearance was issued prior to 2016) or the system is undergoing maintenance.
3. The online renewal system is only applicable to NBI clearances issued from October 16, 2016 onwards.
If your NBI clearance was released prior to this date, it is considered invalid and you must go through the same process intended for new applicants.