Can an unemployed person start paying contributions as a voluntary member to qualify for UMID?

No. Unemployed people (without a previous record of coverage or contribution) are not allowed to start paying contribution as a voluntary member just so they can qualify for UMID or SSS benefits.

Voluntary membership is only for SSS members who are previously employed, self-employed, OFW, or non-working spouse and currently unemployed. This means you have to belong to one of those membership categories before becoming a voluntary member later on.

Moreover, only the first contribution payments from the employed, self-employed, non-working spouse or OFW members are considered valid by the SSS.

Any first contribution paid as a voluntary member is invalid and will be refunded.

Go back to the main article: How to Get UMID Card (New SSS ID) in the Philippines